Going from Brakish to full marine Light Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffs10

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello i have a brackish setup and going to full marine in a few months for my gsp and wanted to add some live rock. I did all the research on the live rock but how much lighting and what kind would i need for live rock.

I dont want to add to much but enought for the puffer to hide. I have a 30 gallon tank and will be adding a skimmer soon.

any info would be great

liverock does not require full marine lighting. what makes it "live" is the bacteria that grows on it. Coral life would require better lighting... but not the rock.

The current light you have will be enough. The coralline algae doesn't need massive lighting to grow...but corals will.

However you might want to still upgrade to a power compact light. I find that the 'came with the tank' light fixutre is usually not enough to fully light the tank, leaving your fish looking dull and drab.
A single 96watt power compact that's a 50/50 bulb would be plenty of light for the tank, and would even allow you to grow some soft corals, mainly shrooms.

malkore said:
The current light you have will be enough. The coralline algae doesn't need massive lighting to grow...but corals will.

However you might want to still upgrade to a power compact light. I find that the 'came with the tank' light fixutre is usually not enough to fully light the tank, leaving your fish looking dull and drab.
A single 96watt power compact that's a 50/50 bulb would be plenty of light for the tank, and would even allow you to grow some soft corals, mainly shrooms.

thank you so much for the great info thats what im looking for live rock and some soft coral to first start out then maybe work it up to a full reef tank in the future thanks for the info.

What would be the next watt level if i wanted to grow more coral?

jeff

Back
Top Bottom