Going from Sw to FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergieturk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so my boyfriend's 165 gallon tank is totally ready :D and most of my inverts were transferred this weekend (my monstrous starfish loves his new tank - he has room to roam and stretch out). My 2 fish are moving this weekend. Their current tank is turning into a FW tank and the old FW 10 gallon is turning into a hospital/quarintine tank for SW.
My question is how do I clean these tanks to make the change? How do I get all the salt out of the old SW tank so it's okay for FW fish? And what do I do to my 10 gallon to make it okay for SW?
Not sure where to post this question - so move it where ever it needs to be.
-Michelle

Just give it a good washing with water...no soap. You can use some white vinegar to get the white deposits off the glass, but rinse well afterwards. Shouldn't be a problem. If there is any salt residue left after you wash the tank, it won't be enough to harm anything.
As to the 10g...rinse it well and add saltwater. You can use a small HOB filter if you wish. I think some folks just run a sponge filter, but all the air bubbles might cause excessive salt creep.
Logan J

Salt will be removed by a simple washing as logan specified.

If you still have saltwater in the larger tank you could start the 10 by putting the water from the larger tank into the smaller tank till its full.

A little salt will be good for the FW tank, as long as it wont be a planted tank.

Yeah, it is a planted tank - but I suck at plants - aquatic or otherwise so they might go.

If you still have saltwater in the larger tank you could start the 10 by putting the water from the larger tank into the smaller tank till its full.
Have break down the tanks and move them 100 miles, but the 10g is going to be hospital/quarantine tank and I'll use water from the main tank. So all the SW in the 20 g is going down the drain.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom