Going on vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drillsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im thinking I guess I need a auto top off system because im going away in like a week and I dont trust anyone is going to attend my tank.. Any other things I need to do?

How long you you gonna be away? I've left for 7 days and didn't do a thing - top off or feed 'til I got back. Absolutely no problem.

I evap about 6g a day. I won't be able to leave for a week without an auto top-off in place for the tank. I might get away without feeding most of my fish during that time (but the tangs would be really cranky when I got home).

I usually have a neighbor come in 2 or 3 times during the week to feed while I'm gone. I leave them a description of what everything should look like while I'm away and copious notes on the behavior patterns of each of my fish so that if there are any problems she'll know.

I also have the food premeasured and marked with which tank it should go in and what day it is to be fed. That way there can be no 'accidental' overfeeding. They are also instructed that they should not feed 2 days in a row even if they miss one day.

WOW. 6g daily? I've even got a medium sized dehumidifier in the basement whenr the tank is. I think I remember when I got back from my 7 day trip, I probably added about 7g total to my 72g w/sump. Now, I would not recommend that to a less established tank 'cause of the salt level swings (among other things), but I've been able to get along fine that way. Did it twice in the last couple of years. I also feeda little heavier for about 3 or 4 days prior to leaving.

Guess I've been lucky.

I usually get someone to put water in and feed. Go to Walmart and get gallon jugs of distilled water and leave instruction with how to feed also. They also make auto feeders also but I`ve never used them.

Back
Top Bottom