Going out of town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petalas82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going out of day for 6 days. This will be the first time out of town since I got my tank. Should I have someone feed my fish once a day or should I bought a feeder or put in some of the food blocks that set at the bottom of the tank. Not sure what to do.

All risky moves.
I would have someone feed them after instructions of how much they should feed.

I would not use the blocks. It will leave too much excessive nutrients in the tank causing nuisance algea down the road. I would just get a friend to do it but show him how much to feed and tell him only that much. Alot of times people will feel sorry and feed them more. Also to be on the safe side I would tell him to fead every other day.

Set up little cups like you use in the bathroom (plastic or paper) with the portions made and the day to feed. We do this with the dry and frozen foods when we go out of town. It makes it fool proof.

Rosesrblu1 said:
Set up little cups like you use in the bathroom (plastic or paper) with the portions made and the day to feed. We do this with the dry and frozen foods when we go out of town. It makes it fool proof.

I did this last week. Made it so easy my 4 yr old neighbor could feed them!

Those 7 day pill containers work great to! Used them when I was on vacation for two week and had a non-fish person feed my fish.

One benefit of having someone feed is that they will notice any severe issues like power outages etc that may prevent you coming home to a crashed tank.

I use auto feeders etc, and with my Profilux I can monitor my tank anywhere I go but I keep a buddy on call in case I lose a connection or anything seems off.

I can access my Profilux controller through the web, see any probe data (salinity, temp, ph, sump water level) control all hardware (powerheads, lights, auto water change, dosing etc).

If there is a malfunction of some sort it can often be determined by the data I get after trouble shooting.

MikeYQM said:
I can access my Profilux controller through the web, see any probe data (salinity, temp, ph, sump water level) control all hardware (powerheads, lights, auto water change, dosing etc).

If there is a malfunction of some sort it can often be determined by the data I get after trouble shooting.

Okay, I have Insteon and an ISY home automation system in my home but all I can do with this is turn on or off my lights.

What is a Profilux system?

Back
Top Bottom