Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2006, 12:20 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok guys and gals, I have one other ?, about two yrs ago I had this tank set up as a salt tank and got frustrated since I was going to this one lfs that the staff is paid on commision, but anyway my question is I have about 20lbs of rock that had been out of water for about 2 yrs, can I still use this if I was to cure it, or would it be best to pitch it and just keep getting fresh lr until I am satisfied with look that I am looking for in my tank.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:28 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hmm, I would think that you should be able to re-use it provided that you give it a good scrubbing and a rinse. Curing shouldn't be necessary since you cure to allow die-off to occur, and rock that has been dry for that long shouldn't have anything on it that is in the process of dieing. No idea on the best way to clean it up though. Anybody?

Old 03-29-2006, 02:05 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, that's some sorry skimmer. No disrespect intended at all. I am actually outraged by whoever sold that to you. It looks like a tube with an airline and airstone inside. That's not even considered a skimmer anymore.

Don't go cheap on the skimmer. I did and it wasn't cool. I got a Prizm and it is working fine with me. However, I should've invested money on it.I would've been skimmer much finer than I am now. With that said, I am still getting dark coffee colored gunk in my collection cup.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:03 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

amaniqu77, I know that is one of the sorriest skimmers also, but I should be receiving my new corallife skimmer today (I have a feeling that was some of my failure the first time as well as the live rock that we had bought from a lfs that did not tell us that it was not cured, along with the chemicals that they said that we needed). I just wish that I had found this site back then, but I am on my way to a very healthy tank. Even thinking about getting my first coral today since I have to go the the lfs that is about an hour away.

coldfish, I think I might still set it in some prepared sw that I have in a rubbermaid tub for about a week just to make sure.

Thank for the help.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:24 AM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I’d have to agree with Coldfish on the light scrubbing and rinsing. If the lr was only out of the water for a couple of days you might get some die off but after two years it’s just dead rock now. You can “cure” it but if you don’t see any nh3 after a day or two then it should be fine to add to the tank.

With NO lighting you will be extremely limited on getting corals. Also if your tank isn’t at least 6+ months old I’d hold off until it is for it to stabilize a little more.

Most anemones need lots of light (2 to 5 watts per gallon) preferably with some blue spectrum provided by actinic light bulbs or higher temperature metal halide lighting.

Tube anemones are one of the few that do well in low light levels. They are nocturnal and should be fed chopped fish and shrimp every other day or so. They build a tube out of mucus and detritus found on the substrates they inhabit. Tube anemones are found in all the warm water oceans of the world. Their long tentacles have a powerful sting and therefore should be kept away from other anemones and corals. They are not used as hosts by clownfish.

While some inverts from low light regions are fairly easy, some can be very difficult and extremely challenging to cater for - especially the
azooxanthellate forms. You'll still need to ensure that ammonia and nitrite levels stay at zero, and that nitrates and phosphates are kept very low.

Hara’s site has good info on low light corals and their needs.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok but would a jbj cfl 55w with a 6500k daylight and a 55w blue spectrum be ok.
Thanks
Old 03-29-2006, 12:20 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

If it’s a standard 29 gal tank size of 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 ¾ then the lighting you have would be ok for low to medium light corals.

Most anemones would survive in the short term but would probably die over time from not getting enough light.

Still there are tons of corals to choose from so I would stick with easier to care for Polyps, certain leathers, Candy Cane Coral, shrooms, & zoos to start with and if you upgrade lighting/experience then the harder to manage corals could be gotten down the road.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:12 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
i had that skimmer, it was the biggest pile of crap ever! it needed constant adjusting, cleaning, new wood stones ........it was a mess. im glad youve upgraded.

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:16 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok guys I got my corallife skimmer today and I can not get the water level below the collection cup, and when I do then I have no dry or even wet foam, it seems like that when I put my finger over the little vent tube that goes into the filter basket then the water level will go down and then I get the foam. HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!! please.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

I assume you are using it as a hob. You want the water level about 4”-5” below the collection cup and don’t worry about getting any skimmate for the first couple of days or so. It takes a little while for the skimmer to break in but eventually you should be fine.

Are you using the stock pump that came with it? Do you have any photos you can share? Did you checkout www.tylermerrick.com’s website as far as adjusting the CSS?

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com