Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you can keep it anywhere in the tank. Just keep it away from other coral.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
So this new light ought to enhance the corals more too then. Thats good!

As for growth, I am talking about all the different types...Zoos, mushrooms, brains, hammer, ect...

Thanks!
Matt

Old 08-12-2009, 03:34 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Zoos and shrooms will grow like weeds given stable water parameters and good lighting. It really depends on how many zoos you start off with. I've found they grow exponentially.

The LPS grow fairly slowly, but give them about 2 or 3 months and they'll double in size if not split into multiple heads. Feeding them never hurts.

Actinics actually cause the corals' pigment to fluoresce. The pigments are actually photoproteins, and are said to serve as UV protection for the zooxanthallae the corals utilize. Just FYI, Matt. Make sure to post lots of pictures . And have fun!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here are some pics guys! Notice the purple shroom on the right. Its usually the size of a quarter but expands out many times its size. It was floating around loose in a bag of water that some other corals came in...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new marine 2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	20189   Click image for larger version

Name:	new brain 1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	20190  

Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
So now I am considering going T 5 if I can find something decent. Comparable fixtures will cost about double the cost of the coralife PC type. How MUCH better are T 5's over PC? I read that they run cooler (but how much cooler?). I read they output more light (but how much more?). They are also cheaper to buy new bulbs for.

I guess what I am getting at is, is it worth paying double for them? Should I go with the 130W PC for $110 or spend double for a T 5?

What are some reputable brands for T5 lights?
EDIT: http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index...OD&ProdID=1261
How does this one look? Its less powerful, but would it be a BIG improvement over the 130W PC?

Thanks guys!
Matt
Old 08-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've used both T-5 and PC lights on my tanks and I'll have to cast my vote for T-5s.

Temperature-wise: After switching from PC lighting to T-5 lighting on my 75 gallon reef my temperature dropped 2 degrees.

Light output: You just get more lumens per watt as opposed to PC. I'm not entirely sure of exact numbers, which is probably what you're looking for lol. T-5s also penetrate deeper in the tank so you can keep whatever coral you want anywhere in the tank depending on the light fixture.

Let's put it this way. PC lighting was designed with the intention of lighting desks, cubicles, etc. T-5 lights were originally designed for tanning beds.

T-5 lights have a lifespan of ideally 9-12 months. PCs ideally 6-8. (This is based off reading I've done on AA)

I'd recommend Tek, Current Nova Extreme Pro, and Current Sundial.
As for bulbs, I really like Giesemann:
Giesemann High Output T5 HO Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps

You can keep what you want with PCs, but you and your coral will be happier with T-5, and so will your wallet in the long run.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I ran that light fixture except the 48" version over my 75g for a while. Really liked that fixture.

If you can fork out a few more bucks, get the pro version. It comes with individual reflectors which will efficiently pump more light into the tank.

But that fixture is great IME.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

This is for a 20g, right? IF you are really crunching numbers, I will say that the original 2x65w Coralife unit you mentioned will allow you to keep lps along with montiporas. I have personally seen this light over a 30g keeping lps and lowlight sps. I do; however, recommend T5's in a 4x24w fixture (IceCap or Tek). As far as I have ever known it to be, PC's will normally last around 12 months and as with any bulb there will be spectral shifts by then.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
thanks for all the good info! So it would seem that the T5 technology will work out much better in the long run and be cheaper too. I am thinking I will go with the Sundial as it seems to pack alot of features into one light. Moon lights, timers, fans.

I can sell the light I have now I guess and that will help a bit with the Sundial...

Matt
Old 08-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't expect T5 to be new technology for long with the way we are advancing twchnology today lol....PC.....T5.....MH....LED....whats next?

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fowlr, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com