Going REEF from FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello,
So I am considering both the Current Sundial and the Current Extreme 4-24W.

I can get a Sundial shipped for free for $199.00. I have some questions about it. Is it possible to operate just one lamp type at a time? For example: Can I turn off the 10,000K and leave the Actinic on only?

Is the fan loud?

A side question (sort of on topic):
I have scratched the inside of the tank in several places with sand that got caught in the magnetic algae scraper. Is there an easy (and REEF safe) way to remove these?

Matt

I'm sure you can operate 10k's or actinics alone without the other. Is your tank glass? If so, there is no way to repair it, just make sure not to get any sand in the algae scraper anymore. If it is acrylic, there are repair kits, but you have to completely empty the tank, dry the cratched spot, apply the scratch filler, and let it cure which is totally not worth it IMO.

Hello,
My tank is acrylic. I looked up some kits and they claim to work under water. They dont say how well though..The scratches are really annoying...Uggg!

Anyone here have experience with this?

Matt

I don't think you should be using the magnet scraper anyways....On the package of the one I bought (Mag Float), It says to not use on acrylic aquariums. I think your scratches are coming from the scraper and not the sand.

I don't think you should be using the magnet scraper anyways....On the package of the one I bought (Mag Float), It says to not use on acrylic aquariums. I think your scratches are coming from the scraper and not the sand.

They do make the Mag Float for acrylic aquariums and they are blue rather than grey, FYI :razz:

i have a glass and a acrylic tank, you can remove scratches from both but you will have to empty the tank to do it, my cousin is a glass worker and he can remove scratches on tempered and normal glass , its not worth the time and effort though. i would be extra careful with your acrylic tank they scratch way more than glass maybe do away with the mag float and get a hand cleaner or a "sponge on a stick" lol and be gentile with it. I have always felt that the mag floats are too strong of a squeeze for acrylic one grian of sand is all you need for that horrible looking scratch of the front pane of your aquarium

Just a reminder that acrylic can be buffed out under water without removing any inhabitants including coral :)

Just a reminder that acrylic can be buffed out under water without removing any inhabitants including coral :)

This is good news. Has anyone here done such a thing? Could you give me a heads up about the difficulty and the results expected?
BTW-I have a magnet scraper meant for acrylic. :)
Matt

Hello,
Before making a final decision about which light to buy, I want to make sure that I dont buy more than I need. (Trying to save $$$).

Seeing as I have a 20g tank that is about 16in tall, what power output should I be looking for for T 5 bulbs? I know the watts per gallon rule is dated, so what do we go by now?

I plan to one day have frogspawn and hammer corals, but really dont like the hard core stony stuff.

There are some Current USA fixtures with T 5 bulbs rated at 48W total (24in) for really good prices. Would it be possible to get away with this lower power? Would it be much of an improvement of what I have now? (65W 50/50 10k, Actinic Power Compact).

Or let me put it this way: What is the best coral I can get with only 48W total from T-5 bulbs?

EDIT: Quick Idea: Might I use TWO cheaper strips instead of one?
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1549
I could have the same output of the Sundial (as far as power goes) for $130 shipped.

EDIT: I just won a Wavepoint T5 4-24W 24in light on ebay for $90.00. This seems to be a great deal, no? I see them listed for $250.00!
Should this work as good or better than the Current Sundial?
http://www.wave-point.com/Lighting_folder/LampMain.html#
It comes with two "sun wave 12,000k" bulbs and two "blue wave super actinic 460nm" bulbs.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom