Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Going REEF from FOWLR

Hello all,
I started up my marine tank some time ago and have decided to make this a reef tank. (Added a few corals and then got addicted). I want to know what I can get away with as far as coral uniqueness goes.

Here are some tank details: Cycled about 2 months ago. 20gallons, about 20lbs of live rock now. An AquaClear 50 power filter,100W stealth heater, Koralia 1 powerhead, and a coralife 65W 50/50 light.

As for my tank/light geometry: The tank is an acrylic tank with a non removable acrylic top. There is a space cut out for a small light of sorts. So some light will have to go through the acrylic. The closest I can get the corals to the lights is about 8-9in away from the bulbs with my current live rock setup. Right now, the brains are up at the top.

So far I have added quite a bit of simple corals: Some different kinds of zoanthids, different kinds of mushroom corals, green star polyps, and two blue favia brain coral frags. ALL the corals seem to be doing great! Even the brain corals. Well, I guess they are doing okay. (They look much better than they did at the store).

I plan to upgrade my light to a coralife 2-65W light. (PC). This will double by lights to 65W of 10,000K and 65W of Actinic.

I dont dose any chemicals and additives. I do a 15% water change weekly. Other critters in the tank: 2 clowns, a coral banded shrimp, emerald crab, various snails and hermits, some hitchhiker feather dusters as well as some hitchhiker bristleworms and a sea star (havent seen the sea star since the first day).

All advice GREATLY appreciated! Id love to be told I could take on some hammer coral or frogspawn corals. ))

I also plan to eventually add a sixline wrasse and maybe some small goby...

Matt

Old 08-12-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would say some of the more hardy lps... I would look into getting a better light fixture for sure. Maybe even splurging if you dont you will probably kick yourself later on down the road. Hold off on getting some coral and get a good light fixture.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Softies for sure and possibly as GhostKnife said, the hard lps with your current fixture. If you upgrade, look into T5 HO as this will expand the amount of coral you can keep greatly.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you're looking to keep your budget down, I've had good luck with Odyssea--others would spiritedly disagree. This fixture should keep the hammer and frogspawn you want. Some of my favorite LPS, btw...lol!

An adequate light fixture. Keep in mind: you get what you pay for...
Odyssea T5 High Output Lighting

I recommend either a TEK or a Current Nova fixture. Better build quality and IME yield better results from the stock bulbs as opposed to Odyssea.
T5 Aquarium Lighting - AquaCave - T5 Lighting Outfitters

I have a 150 watt MH on my 20 by JBJ. It's a clamp on light and I really like it.
JBJ VIPER Clip-on Metal Halide Fixtures
Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a light that will allow you to have any coral you want: T-5 HO Aquarium Lighting: Current Sundial T-5 Canopy Light Fixtures.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello guys,
Thanks for the replies! Yes, money needs to be kept down.

24" 2x 65watt Lunar Aqualight by Coralife

This looks to be more powerful than some of the others suggested. Might this work for hammer and frogspawn coral?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

PC lights just don't penetrate the way T-5 and MHs do. But in a 20, I don't think it's really a problem. But you'll notice that with 2 PC lights you have white light in the front and blue in the back. The coloration and effect don't really compare to having 4 T-5 lights. Makes the water look more crisp. I have PC's in my BioCube because it's standard, but if I could mod them for LED's or T-5's I would in a heartbeat.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

That will work for softies, most lps and some of the easier sps. Yes, with that fixture you can have hammer and frogspawn. Just place them away from other coral as they are aggresive and will sting neighboring coral.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Sounds good! I do feel the one I picked out (I can get it for $110.00 shipped on ebay) is a good balance for me. It will expand what I can have, yet still let me have something to look forward to, no?

Should I still focus on a high spot for a hammer or frogspawn with the upgraded light, or will they be fine on the bottom? (More space down there and away from medling hermits and snails)

I wish those T5's would come down in price some...

As I understand, the Actinic is purely aesthetic and the 10,000K light does all the work? How much does Actinic light really improve colors?

Also, how fast do some of these things grow? (Or spread)
Thanks!
Matt
Old 08-12-2009, 03:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

You'll really appreciate actinics with LPS and Zoos. You'll love frogspawn and hammers under actinics, I promise!

I've seen studies where people have kept zoos in only actinic lighting with no adverse effects. In fact, a lot of Japanese vendors use this method.

As to your last question: What coral are you referring to? Zoos? LPS? Softies?

Tags
fowlr, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com