Going REEF from FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I started up my marine tank some time ago and have decided to make this a reef tank. (Added a few corals and then got addicted). I want to know what I can get away with as far as coral uniqueness goes.

Here are some tank details: Cycled about 2 months ago. 20gallons, about 20lbs of live rock now. An AquaClear 50 power filter,100W stealth heater, Koralia 1 powerhead, and a coralife 65W 50/50 light.

As for my tank/light geometry: The tank is an acrylic tank with a non removable acrylic top. There is a space cut out for a small light of sorts. So some light will have to go through the acrylic. The closest I can get the corals to the lights is about 8-9in away from the bulbs with my current live rock setup. Right now, the brains are up at the top.

So far I have added quite a bit of simple corals: Some different kinds of zoanthids, different kinds of mushroom corals, green star polyps, and two blue favia brain coral frags. ALL the corals seem to be doing great! Even the brain corals. Well, I guess they are doing okay. (They look much better than they did at the store).

I plan to upgrade my light to a coralife 2-65W light. (PC). This will double by lights to 65W of 10,000K and 65W of Actinic.

I dont dose any chemicals and additives. I do a 15% water change weekly. Other critters in the tank: 2 clowns, a coral banded shrimp, emerald crab, various snails and hermits, some hitchhiker feather dusters as well as some hitchhiker bristleworms and a sea star (havent seen the sea star since the first day).

All advice GREATLY appreciated! Id love to be told I could take on some hammer coral or frogspawn corals. :)))

I also plan to eventually add a sixline wrasse and maybe some small goby...

Matt

I would say some of the more hardy lps... I would look into getting a better light fixture for sure. Maybe even splurging if you dont you will probably kick yourself later on down the road. Hold off on getting some coral and get a good light fixture.

Softies for sure and possibly as GhostKnife said, the hard lps with your current fixture. If you upgrade, look into T5 HO as this will expand the amount of coral you can keep greatly.

If you're looking to keep your budget down, I've had good luck with Odyssea--others would spiritedly disagree. This fixture should keep the hammer and frogspawn you want. Some of my favorite LPS, btw...lol!

An adequate light fixture. Keep in mind: you get what you pay for...
Odyssea T5 High Output Lighting

I recommend either a TEK or a Current Nova fixture. Better build quality and IME yield better results from the stock bulbs as opposed to Odyssea.
T5 Aquarium Lighting - AquaCave - T5 Lighting Outfitters

I have a 150 watt MH on my 20 by JBJ. It's a clamp on light and I really like it.
JBJ VIPER Clip-on Metal Halide Fixtures

PC lights just don't penetrate the way T-5 and MHs do. But in a 20, I don't think it's really a problem. But you'll notice that with 2 PC lights you have white light in the front and blue in the back. The coloration and effect don't really compare to having 4 T-5 lights. Makes the water look more crisp. I have PC's in my BioCube because it's standard, but if I could mod them for LED's or T-5's I would in a heartbeat.

That will work for softies, most lps and some of the easier sps. Yes, with that fixture you can have hammer and frogspawn. Just place them away from other coral as they are aggresive and will sting neighboring coral.

Hello,
Sounds good! I do feel the one I picked out (I can get it for $110.00 shipped on ebay) is a good balance for me. It will expand what I can have, yet still let me have something to look forward to, no? :)

Should I still focus on a high spot for a hammer or frogspawn with the upgraded light, or will they be fine on the bottom? (More space down there and away from medling hermits and snails)

I wish those T5's would come down in price some...

As I understand, the Actinic is purely aesthetic and the 10,000K light does all the work? How much does Actinic light really improve colors?

Also, how fast do some of these things grow? (Or spread)
Thanks!
Matt

You'll really appreciate actinics with LPS and Zoos. You'll love frogspawn and hammers under actinics, I promise!

I've seen studies where people have kept zoos in only actinic lighting with no adverse effects. In fact, a lot of Japanese vendors use this method.

As to your last question: What coral are you referring to? Zoos? LPS? Softies?

Hello,
So this new light ought to enhance the corals more too then. Thats good!

As for growth, I am talking about all the different types...Zoos, mushrooms, brains, hammer, ect...

Thanks!
Matt

Zoos and shrooms will grow like weeds given stable water parameters and good lighting. It really depends on how many zoos you start off with. I've found they grow exponentially.

The LPS grow fairly slowly, but give them about 2 or 3 months and they'll double in size if not split into multiple heads. Feeding them never hurts.

Actinics actually cause the corals' pigment to fluoresce. The pigments are actually photoproteins, and are said to serve as UV protection for the zooxanthallae the corals utilize. Just FYI, Matt. Make sure to post lots of pictures ;). And have fun!

Here are some pics guys! Notice the purple shroom on the right. Its usually the size of a quarter but expands out many times its size. It was floating around loose in a bag of water that some other corals came in...

Attachments

• new marine 2.jpg
    new marine 2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 48
  • new brain 1.jpg
    new brain 1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 51
Hello,
So now I am considering going T 5 if I can find something decent. Comparable fixtures will cost about double the cost of the coralife PC type. How MUCH better are T 5's over PC? I read that they run cooler (but how much cooler?). I read they output more light (but how much more?). They are also cheaper to buy new bulbs for.

I guess what I am getting at is, is it worth paying double for them? Should I go with the 130W PC for $110 or spend double for a T 5?

What are some reputable brands for T5 lights?
EDIT: http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1261
How does this one look? Its less powerful, but would it be a BIG improvement over the 130W PC?

Thanks guys!
Matt

I've used both T-5 and PC lights on my tanks and I'll have to cast my vote for T-5s.

Temperature-wise: After switching from PC lighting to T-5 lighting on my 75 gallon reef my temperature dropped 2 degrees.

Light output: You just get more lumens per watt as opposed to PC. I'm not entirely sure of exact numbers, which is probably what you're looking for lol. T-5s also penetrate deeper in the tank so you can keep whatever coral you want anywhere in the tank depending on the light fixture.

Let's put it this way. PC lighting was designed with the intention of lighting desks, cubicles, etc. T-5 lights were originally designed for tanning beds.

T-5 lights have a lifespan of ideally 9-12 months. PCs ideally 6-8. (This is based off reading I've done on AA)

I'd recommend Tek, Current Nova Extreme Pro, and Current Sundial.
As for bulbs, I really like Giesemann:
Giesemann High Output T5 HO Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps

You can keep what you want with PCs, but you and your coral will be happier with T-5, and so will your wallet in the long run.

I ran that light fixture except the 48" version over my 75g for a while. Really liked that fixture.

If you can fork out a few more bucks, get the pro version. It comes with individual reflectors which will efficiently pump more light into the tank.

But that fixture is great IME.

This is for a 20g, right? IF you are really crunching numbers, I will say that the original 2x65w Coralife unit you mentioned will allow you to keep lps along with montiporas. I have personally seen this light over a 30g keeping lps and lowlight sps. I do; however, recommend T5's in a 4x24w fixture (IceCap or Tek). As far as I have ever known it to be, PC's will normally last around 12 months and as with any bulb there will be spectral shifts by then.

Last edited:
Hello,
thanks for all the good info! So it would seem that the T5 technology will work out much better in the long run and be cheaper too. I am thinking I will go with the Sundial as it seems to pack alot of features into one light. Moon lights, timers, fans.

I can sell the light I have now I guess and that will help a bit with the Sundial...

Matt

Back
Top Bottom