Going to look at a 150gallon tank on Tuesday ***update**Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have never had a sw tank and I really hope I can get this one that I am going to go look at. The guy said if I want it, he is going to give me everything. I know that he has some fish and some LR, but I don't know how much. Is there anything I should be looking for? Any specific questions I should ask? Also, if I do end up getting it, how many people am I looking at to move this thing?

it may not be as big a factor concernig the number of people you need to move it, but more fo how you are going to, because you would not want to move the tank while it is full of water because it could/is highly probable that it could cause the tank to crack and/or break.
also, if what is meant by "everything" is really meaning everything and they have had the tank running well for a good while, then you probably would not need anything extra, however if it is just the tank and the fish and rocks then you would need more things like a skimmer, lights and ect. and if it already has lights and you eventually want to put corals in it, you may have to upgrade the lighting if it is not already sufficient for the job.

Depends on if you plan on taking the water also.....
Drain tank..... remove all Lr and put in garbage cans or coolers ect.
If the tank is old and has a sand bed I would only look at keeping the top few inches.
is it a newer 150 or old.... most newer tanks have thinner glass some old tanks are heavy.
I would say you want 3-4 guys and at least 2 trucks/van or a uhaul. It going to be hard work moving an established tank and setting it up in the same day.. If there colse then 1 truck with many trips should work.
good luck...... and buy some Bengay for your back :wink:

Ohhh. Well we are about an hour away. From what I gathered, this is an older tank. And I am pretty sure he is going to give me everything, tank, stand, fish, lights, filters. So I need to round up 2 vehicles if we get it. I am sort of torn because I really want it and I want to be prepared if I take it home, but I also don't want to get my hopes up incase it doesn't happen. I am going to take pics on tuesday when I see it, so maybe I could get some feedback from you guys then too.

Well I just replaced the stand on a 150 and it took a lot of work to do it. You will need at least 4 strong people to move the tank itself and a lot of tubs and trash cans to hold the lr,sand,fish,etc.
Your biggest problem is not knowing the upkeep of a sw tank. Getting it home is only part of it. You are going to need to qt the fish for a few days untill the tank stabilizes after the move as well. I hope it all works out for you and if your devoted to a sw tank then it's a blast but a tank of this size needs care every day and takes a lot of time to upkeep. If I were closer I'd be happy to help out but good luck and again i hope it all works out for you. :)

Well, I went and saw the tank today. It is ten years old. The tank looks to be in really good shape. The glass is scratched a bit, and it needs a good cleaning. He is going to give me all the lights, filters (some of which don't work) the stand, the fish. I am SO excited. I took some pics of the fish and stuff. Tell me what you think. Also we decided that moving it is going to be too big a job ourselves, so our friendly lfs friends are going to do it for us. :D Here are the pics...

Looks great! You said he's giving you all this. Wow, thats quite a gift. Don't worry about the filters that's cheap compared to what your getting. It's hard to tell from the picture are there powerheads in the tank. If not your going to need a couple to put in the plastic tubs (for the fish, & the live rock) while you setup the tank.

YOu will probibly want to seed it with some better rock, but the fish seem to be in nice shape.

THe Wet/dry could use a good cleaning and you will probibly want to replace the skimmer and add some powerheads.

excellent find man!

Nice deal. I wish someone would give me a tank like that. Someone gave me a 30 gallon setup once and I was happy lol.

The guy giving that away could probably easily sell that tank for around 400-500$ I would think.

a small tip on the water.

to move tank water do this:
get several milk crates and a box of strong trash bags.
fill the bags with the water inside a milk crate.
tie off the bag and then fill another. the water will now "stack and take up a ton less room.
(i move a lot and have a 90 gal)

enjoy.

I would get me about 70 gallons of saltwater mixed up at home. Dump about 50g when you go to pick it up, and just replace the water when you get all the stuff home. Nice Stuff You Got THere!! :D

Yeah but he's getting the whole deal (tank, stand, lights, filters, rocks, and fish). I think the guy could get alot more.

I am totally excited. I guess you will be seeing more of me on this side now with all the newbie questions. All that is left is coordinating the move. My husband and I are going to help, but we are really going to rely on our lfs guys. I guess they do this all the time. HOORAY!!

i've just brought a 130 gallon tank second hand.

imo i would recommend that you sell the live stock (or get someone to hold them for you) and take your time setting it up how you want it, this way there is no rushh and you'll be able to get it right first time.

mark

Back
Top Bottom