Going UP again! Any ideas ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jedihunter

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am an Old School aquarium owner. ten years ago i was a Proudly Oscar's breeder, then they turned into some Electric BLue Afrikan Cichlids and went OK, then i went Salty, some Perculas and tangs. then some groupers and Angels, then (just for the Fun) i went mureys, from 6mm to 4feet, all was done in a traditional bed filter with a power head and an external aquaclear.

later i added some live rock and it included some trigger fish and a puffer (i know i was a LSOTheSea)it went fine for 3 or more months all levels went as smooth as possible:
nitrites and nitrates ok, ph ok ,hardness and salinity ok,10% water changes almost uneeded and then i went on vacations and when i got back all i had was a big fish soup with three survivors the murey the grouper and a tang.
then i quitted, now i am ready for a come back, but i missed a lot of changes:
wet dry filters were not an option then,(do you recommend?)
What's DSB?(used to go Crushed Coral and then some caribean sand)
is it compatible with bed filter and power head?
heres my new set up
211 gal tank embeded in wall, i was thinking in a full size bed filter with 1 power head, an external vortex dyathomeas filter, a big aquaclear and a fully submergible heater.

Please any suggestions?, any ideas ?any thing?.....
Sorry for full story but i need to tell..

JH :wink:

Things have advanced a good bit from 10 years ago. DSB are huge right now, although there is some debate as to its long term stability. If you want more info on how a dsb works, may I suggest an article by Dr. Ron.
http://www.reef-aquarium.net/resources/rocksubstrate/dsb.html

There is alot of info in the article, but its a good read for someone wanting to learn.

Wet/dry systems are still in use, but alot of people are switching them over to refugiums. Simply put, a fuge is a haven for pods to grow outside (but connected to) the main tank. Macro algae is often grown in them as well.

The problem w/ wet/dry systems is the bio balls. They are known for trapping nitrates which cause nuisance algae.

The best thing you could do is get the book called The conscientious marine aquarist by Dr. Fenner. I have yet to read it, but it is considered to be the bible of this hobby.

What else?! Bring it on....that was too easy! :mrgreen:

Undergravel filters are notorious for trapping detritus and it's associated phosphates. Neither of which we want if you want to add corals eventually down the road.

I think you will find that most people recommend a protein skimmer and live rock over most other forms of filtration.

OK, so i guess undergravel is not an option Anymore?, should i put a dsb and some live rock? i am thinking in a weird filtering system but i am a lil ill today.

What will you recommend?
I have read of Sumps and fuges, but i dont understand it yet? any explanation will be appreciated

JH

Sumps Explained
Refugiums
are two articles on this site you should read. Some people are now going with a bare-bottom or shallow sand bed and putting the DSB in the fuge.

I have a 6"-8" DSB in my 125 and plan on revitalizing the infauna yearly until I upgrade in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom