Going with taotronics?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Godfrey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok decided to go with LEDs like or actually taotronics. The tank is an 80 gal and its 20" deep and 4' wide so I know I need two. I have a hood on the tank that is 10 to top of water. I have no problem drilling out top of hood for exhaust vents so I can hang lights to top inside of hood Sky's the limit on what I want to be able to have in tank stock( just don't want to be limited)
Questions:
My center support is 10" wide and not all that clear any more but I'm thinking I could move lights towards outside of tank and angle them in a little so I don't get that negative light area under it. Anyone see problems with that?

Do I need optics? Can I install later easy enough? Can you mix and match optics ?

120w 141w, 220w. What's to little for my tank and what's too much I know I want dim able and just white and blues ?
I'm sure ill come up with more questions but that's a start. I welcome everyone's imput

Info I found helpful so ill pass it on

Attachments

• image-1066704958.jpg
    image-1066704958.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2071596708.jpg
    image-2071596708.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 59
  • image-2222062386.jpg
    image-2222062386.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 53
um... not sure it is a good idea to hang the light inside of your canopy if it is only 10".
few things you will need to consider,
1)each fixture comes with 2 power cord from what I believe, you will need enough space to get 4 cords in your canopy.
2)At 32" deep, the fixture gives about 125 PAR which concern me a bit as my 72w fixture when blue and white are on (60W), it provides about 110 PAR and that is 35" deep. That can mean few possibility, either it is not running at full power or the LED being used is not at high quality.
3)I saw these fixtures before, there should be fan on top. So when you hang them in your canopy, you will need to give at least 3-5 inches for the hot ait to get out, or you will decrease its life span.

To answer your question about wat is too much and wat is too little.
I think the following guideline is pretty easy to tell you wat you need to know when looking at a PAR reading.

most SPS(Acropora) require 200 ~ 550

some SPS(Montipora for example),Clam and LPS 150 ~ 250

Softies are 50~150

If you run over 300 PAR for softies, you are going to kill them.
if you are running over 500 PAR for SPS then they could get sun burn when you first introduce it.

I hope this answers some of your questions

Back
Top Bottom