Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighabeeb View Post
The one suggestion I would make is that you NOT completely disassemble your tank looking for a fish who may have died. Generally speaking, if the fish is to the point that it's unable to move, finding it won't allow you to help it.

You have a new tank, so thankfully you haven't had a pile up of pollutants, but you need to keep in mind that as your tank gets more "seasoned", pulled up all your rocks, disturbing all the substrate etc will both kick up detritus and any trapped 'trates or 'trites, and also cause stress on fish or inverts that may have found themselves a little home in your tank.

Generally speaking you can actually cause less damage to a tank by letting a deceased fish go its own way and letting the clean up crew do what they're designed to do - its an unfortunate part of the hobby, but it is what it is.

As for pods and the mandarin - most good LFS will sell pods in big bags and/or bottles...however pretty much all fish will gobble the little buggers up as fast as yo ucan add them (whenever reefs2go has a free shipping special I buy a bag of pods, primarily so I can get free shipping on other stuff too). Without a refugium odds are good that you wouldn't be able to really propegate the little buggers. As someone new to the saltwater world I would heavily not recommend the mandarin - if you read through some of the articles out there (and even the postings on this board), for every success story about one you'll see a bunch of posts about failures. Even on liveaquaria they're rated as "difficult" - primarily because of their passion for pods.

Just a suggestion, you can take it or leave it of course as you see fit

As for new additions, I would settle out your lighting, filtration, and powerhead situation before adding anything else. You need to keep in mind that the reason for cycling a tank is to build up beneficial bacteria: both in your tank, on your rocks, and in your filter. When you remove the filter, you are also removing all of that beneficial bacteria - which could theoretically cause your tank to cycle again (which I can more or less guarantee that, at the least, the goby and mandarin wouldn't survive).

Finally, as far as the alge goes, unfortunately that's a big part of starting a new tank...I think everyone here can confirm that you'll have at the very least a diatom outbreak and a green hair outbreak before the tank really gets cooking and looking good. It's frustrating, but be diligent with your water changes and you'll get through it.

Anyway, just some advice from someone who has made plenty of mistakes. Take a good long pause where you are, get your equipment sorted out, and then see where you've landed.
Thanks so much! That was very helpful. I am going to wait for more fish, although I do need to substantially add to my CUC. I promise to never go looking for another fish again! I didn't really think about the consequences. I will have to re-aquascape here soon though, so maybe I should do that ASAP. Buy the LR and cure it (btw, if I buy it from a trusted LFS only 10 mins from my home, do I have to cure it?) and then add it and scape. I only have to add about 18lbs, so it's not too bad.

I plan on being WAY more established by the time I get the mandarin, hopefully there will be a sump by that time. The lights, I'm going to leave as is, I'm not planning on going all out with my reef on this one, maybe a few years down the road I'll do a huge reef and get everything then. For now my 50/50 LEDS will be enough for some easy soft coral.

Is there a way of setting up a seperate tank just to harvest pods?

Old 12-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Lol i love nu-nu! My brother has some great pics of him... Maybe he will post a few! He has tons of personality, hes a great fish! Latly he has been kinda lazy just "sleeping" all day hes not a predator at all, but he doesnt like it when the tetras take his blood worms haha
So he's fresh water then? I have to get the tank I have 100% established before adding anything else, but I may make plans for the future. I light fish with personality!

Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ugh...ok. So what's in the tank now, liverock but not as much as you want? The problem with adding liverock to an already established and cycled tank is that it can, once again, cause another cycle depending on what's on the rock. Would def. suggest curing it in another tank if that's an option.

As far as a separate tank for the pods, what you really want is a refugium - but you're talking about some more advanced aquarium keeping in that case. A refugium is, generally speaking, a little sub-tank that lets you keep some macro algae, micro-critters, and other stuff that will help keep your tank junk free and also let the microcritters grow without getting feasted on.

My suggestion, since you're kinda stuck at a halfway point, would be to add whatever rock you need to - slowly, a couple smallish pieces at a time. For the moment, I would definitely write off the idea of a mandarin. They're gorgeous, but regretfully very challenging and should only be kept in a VERY established aquarium with a refugium etc

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox82 View Post
Thanks so much! That was very helpful. I am going to wait for more fish, although I do need to substantially add to my CUC. I promise to never go looking for another fish again! I didn't really think about the consequences. I will have to re-aquascape here soon though, so maybe I should do that ASAP. Buy the LR and cure it (btw, if I buy it from a trusted LFS only 10 mins from my home, do I have to cure it?) and then add it and scape. I only have to add about 18lbs, so it's not too bad.

I plan on being WAY more established by the time I get the mandarin, hopefully there will be a sump by that time. The lights, I'm going to leave as is, I'm not planning on going all out with my reef on this one, maybe a few years down the road I'll do a huge reef and get everything then. For now my 50/50 LEDS will be enough for some easy soft coral.

Is there a way of setting up a seperate tank just to harvest pods?
caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighabeeb View Post
Ugh...ok. So what's in the tank now, liverock but not as much as you want? The problem with adding liverock to an already established and cycled tank is that it can, once again, cause another cycle depending on what's on the rock. Would def. suggest curing it in another tank if that's an option.

As far as a separate tank for the pods, what you really want is a refugium - but you're talking about some more advanced aquarium keeping in that case. A refugium is, generally speaking, a little sub-tank that lets you keep some macro algae, micro-critters, and other stuff that will help keep your tank junk free and also let the microcritters grow without getting feasted on.

My suggestion, since you're kinda stuck at a halfway point, would be to add whatever rock you need to - slowly, a couple smallish pieces at a time. For the moment, I would definitely write off the idea of a mandarin. They're gorgeous, but regretfully very challenging and should only be kept in a VERY established aquarium with a refugium etc

Hope that helps!
Actually, curing it in another tank is an option! I wanted to cycle a hospital tank anyways, so why not do it in the smaller tank. Hmmm, let me see what I can do, I may just use your suggestion of adding the rock piece by piece over the next 3 or so months.

I want a fuge, and even have the plan laid out as to which one I want built. I just don't want to spend all of the extra money at the moment. I was hoping to hold off on that for a year or two, seeing how this tank goes and then going all out on a doozy of a tank.

Thanks again for your advice!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha yes he is freshwater! I wish there was a small saltwater eel! I would totally get one for my 30!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I went home and checked on my goby, he's still doing fine. I fed last night and he was eating the brine directly out of the water as well as sifting for them. Here's to hoping he'll survive

I adore my Cleaner Shrimp! He's so gossipy! LOL He makes me laugh. Anything that goes on in the tank, he's gotta be right there checking it out. We call him chismosito (the little gossip).

I'm wondering if he'll get along with other shrimp though, I need to get more of a CUC this weekend and was hoping to get a peppermint or a blood red fire shrimp.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Glad your goby is eating, thats a great sign. You should try some other foods now like mysis shrimp which are more nutritious than brine.

Cleaner shrimp should get along with almost any other shrimp, the coral banded ones are the one that might cause a problem, they can be aggressive and nasty to other shrimp from what I have heard and read.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Glad your goby is eating, thats a great sign. You should try some other foods now like mysis shrimp which are more nutritious than brine.

Cleaner shrimp should get along with almost any other shrimp, the coral banded ones are the one that might cause a problem, they can be aggressive and nasty to other shrimp from what I have heard and read.
Thanks! Would that be just for the goby or for all the fish? The brine that I'm feeding is vitamin and veggie induced.

BTW, I just read that you can feed the gobies fish roe, have you ever done so?
Old 12-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Which reminds me LOL, last night when I fed the shrimp was trying to chase and catch the WHOLE floating frozen cube lol...it was hilarious, we were all watching and laughing at him. He was climbing the tallest rock and trying soooo hard to get the whole cube, didn't care less for the pieces that were breaking off in the water....greedy little chismosito hahaha
Old 12-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

All your fish should enjoy the mysis. They even have baby mysis if the regular size is too big.

Never heard of feeding fish roe, might be worth a shot. Basically anything they like to eat is good lol

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com