Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Golden Dwarf Moray troubles (diet)

So Iíve had my ~9Ē golden dwarf moray eel for about 6 months. He ate like crazy and was doing amazing for about 4 months and then started refusing food for about 3 weeks which I attributed to a common moray eel hunger strike. He ate for a few weeks after but never as voracious as when I first got him. Now, he has stopped eating again which is running on about 3 weeks now.

Tank parameters are pretty solid & the moray is the only inhabitant:
-20 long SPS dominant
-SCA-301 skimmer
-refugium w/ chaeto
-SG: 1.025; NO3: 5 ppm; PO4: ~0.01

Im starting to get very concerned because I had another golden dwarf moray previously and the SAME EXACT scenario occurred until he died after refusing to eat for 6-8 weeks or so.

Since I got him Iíve fed fed him mainly chunks from LRS chunky blend as well as squid and shelled Alaskan shrimp. I feel this is a pretty balanced diet but after doing a bunch of reading I came across this article regarding an enzyme deficiency in predatory fish that are kept in the hobby..

Thiaminase

Anyone have similar experiences or familiar with this enzyme deficiency? All opinions or suggestions Iíd love to hear. Anything I can do to ensure the morays survival/health I will do and try.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Can you tell us more about the tank? I want to say we already went over other issues in your system that were causing fish deaths?

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Can you tell us more about the tank? I want to say we already went over other issues in your system that were causing fish deaths?

I donít think so? There was a juvie fairy wrasse and yellow stripe clingfish in the tank before the sump upgrade but they were moved to different tanks. Havenít had any deaths though. As far as tank Params everything is is stable at solid numbers as I listed before. I am dosing 6 ml of of b ionic 2 part to keep alk and cal stable and using Frits salt but I canít see that being the cause. Corals which are a mix of acros lps and zoas are doing better than ever as far as color and polyp extension so I donít think it would be something water quality related. What else would you like to know about the system?
Old 04-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Have you tried chunks of silversides? If Iím thinking correctly golden dwarfs are fish eaters. I havenít read much into thiaminase so canít help much there.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Have you tried chunks of silversides? If Iím thinking correctly golden dwarfs are fish eaters. I havenít read much into thiaminase so canít help much there.

Ya they are a fish eaters. Havenít tried silversides cuz my previous one wanted nothing to do with them even when he was eating anything and everything. Gonna go grab some today though and give them a try. Also gonna try soaking the different foods in some vitamin B1 supplement and garlic just Incase the thiaminase enzyme deficiency theory holds any weight.

If he still refuses to eat, whatís your thoughts on trying some live guppys held by tongs? Obviously not permanently but maybe just entice him with something live thatís moving
Old 04-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yeah just try something to get him going and maybe itíll lead into further non live eating. Definitely soak the silversides. Thatís a good idea
Old 05-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #7

So good news. Got some Hikari silversides and soaked some chopped up pieces in selcon and garlic. He ate a piece a couple days ago and then another tonight. Still wants nothing to do with anything other foods but boy what a relief haha.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Glad to hear the silversides did he trick!

Tags
die, diet, dwarf, gold, golden, moray, ray, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com