Golden Dwarf Moray troubles (diet)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GAhockey1992

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I’ve had my ~9” golden dwarf moray eel for about 6 months. He ate like crazy and was doing amazing for about 4 months and then started refusing food for about 3 weeks which I attributed to a common moray eel hunger strike. He ate for a few weeks after but never as voracious as when I first got him. Now, he has stopped eating again which is running on about 3 weeks now.

Tank parameters are pretty solid & the moray is the only inhabitant:
-20 long SPS dominant
-SCA-301 skimmer
-refugium w/ chaeto
-SG: 1.025; NO3: 5 ppm; PO4: ~0.01

Im starting to get very concerned because I had another golden dwarf moray previously and the SAME EXACT scenario occurred until he died after refusing to eat for 6-8 weeks or so.

Since I got him I’ve fed fed him mainly chunks from LRS chunky blend as well as squid and shelled Alaskan shrimp. I feel this is a pretty balanced diet but after doing a bunch of reading I came across this article regarding an enzyme deficiency in predatory fish that are kept in the hobby..

Thiaminase

Anyone have similar experiences or familiar with this enzyme deficiency? All opinions or suggestions I’d love to hear. Anything I can do to ensure the morays survival/health I will do and try.

Can you tell us more about the tank? I want to say we already went over other issues in your system that were causing fish deaths?

I don’t think so? There was a juvie fairy wrasse and yellow stripe clingfish in the tank before the sump upgrade but they were moved to different tanks. Haven’t had any deaths though. As far as tank Params everything is is stable at solid numbers as I listed before. I am dosing 6 ml of of b ionic 2 part to keep alk and cal stable and using Frits salt but I can’t see that being the cause. Corals which are a mix of acros lps and zoas are doing better than ever as far as color and polyp extension so I don’t think it would be something water quality related. What else would you like to know about the system?

Have you tried chunks of silversides? If I’m thinking correctly golden dwarfs are fish eaters. I haven’t read much into thiaminase so can’t help much there.

Have you tried chunks of silversides? If I’m thinking correctly golden dwarfs are fish eaters. I haven’t read much into thiaminase so can’t help much there.

Ya they are a fish eaters. Haven’t tried silversides cuz my previous one wanted nothing to do with them even when he was eating anything and everything. Gonna go grab some today though and give them a try. Also gonna try soaking the different foods in some vitamin B1 supplement and garlic just Incase the thiaminase enzyme deficiency theory holds any weight.

If he still refuses to eat, what’s your thoughts on trying some live guppys held by tongs? Obviously not permanently but maybe just entice him with something live that’s moving

Yeah just try something to get him going and maybe it’ll lead into further non live eating. Definitely soak the silversides. That’s a good idea

So good news. Got some Hikari silversides and soaked some chopped up pieces in selcon and garlic. He ate a piece a couple days ago and then another tonight. Still wants nothing to do with anything other foods but boy what a relief haha.

Back
Top Bottom