Gonipora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking about getting a Gonipora (or "flowerpot coral" as it's labeled at the store) for my tank. Can anyone give me some information about how hard they are to keep? (Links are good, but I've done some searches. I value experience over documentation.)

Goniopora have a dismal survival rate in home aquariums... although no one is really sure why. On average, they survive about 3 months... which was exactly our experience with the one we owned. Supposedly, the red goniopora are hardier, but I'm not willing to take that chance again.

I agree with Kimberly. The flowerpots don't do well in the aquarium at all.

You could try an alveopora instead of the goniopora if you are stuck on the flowerpots. While the alveopora's survival rate isn't much greater, it would still have a better chance of survival in the aquarium. My LFS stocks them about once a month. I may have to pick one of those guys up one day. It is a truly beautiful coral.

i Have a flowerpot coral that is doing GREAT it has nearly doubled in size and has a nice color

Mr. Marine

Back
Top Bottom