Gonna put new tank in basement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grease

Aquarium Advice Freak
So in the next year I'm gonna be finishing my basement. I haven't started that process yet. I'm gonna upgrade from my 40 to a 120 when it's finished. I don't really want to drag buckets of dirty water up my stairs every wc. Should I add anything to element this to my basement?

Grease said:
So in the next year I'm gonna be finishing my basement. I haven't started that process yet. I'm gonna upgrade from my 40 to a 120 when it's finished. I don't really want to drag buckets of dirty water up my stairs every wc. Should I add anything to element this to my basement?

How about a water source so you could have a RO/DI resovoir right nixt to the tank?

My ro system is hooked up in the basement already. Thanks for the thought

Grease said:
My ro system is hooked up in the basement already. Thanks for the thought

Oh good! How about a drain in the basement, and a spot to hang your lights? (If you want to hang them)

A drain would be good. Maybe add a sink or something. I wonder how much that would cost

You can buy a stand alone utility sink for pretty cheap (i think around $100) and just run your plumbing to it. Do you have a drain in the floor anywhere?

I don't have a drain. I have a sump pump but I don't think I can put saltwater down it. It would drain out into my yard.

Grease said:
I don't have a drain. I have a sump pump but I don't think I can put saltwater down it. It would drain out into my yard.

Are you on a sceptic system? If not you can add an ejector pump (to a tank, sump, sink drain, etc) and pipe it up to your sanitary sewer. If not you can still eject it to a container higher in an easier more accessible location and the manually empty that where you prefer.

Won't the ejector pump rust? Or is there a way to prevent that?

You can use a pump same as a return pump for a SW tank. All you need is a float, emergency float/alarm, check valve, etc. Google ejector pump installation, diagram, plumbing, etc. and you will see the design. Then just use an aquarium pump if you are worried about the SW rusting it out. There probably are pimps rated for marine environments that can pump massive amounts but sounds like all you need is to remove PWC amounts.

Reeffanman said:
The ejector pump idea sounds ideal is u can't plumb it into septic.

Where do you normally discard your used saltwater?
You can eject it into a container upstairs and then empty that container wherever you normally put you old water.

Back
Top Bottom