Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good ? 4 the pros!

So I recently started my 40g saltwater tank, its been thriving under my supervision.
I can't stop doin research I'm addicted.!
So here goes my question "
I want to add a sump/refugium, I've read that in order for the refugium to have an impact on the tank it needs to be half my tank in gallons.
Well here's the part that's confusing ,

when they say the refugium needs to be half size of the aquarium are they specifically talking about the the refugium space" length x by Withe x"or dose is mean the sump/refugium tank itself needs to be half size witch in my case is 20g?

GoRamz59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't think the total water volume in the sump needs to be half of the display tank, maybe a third. Obviously the more water in the total system the more stability your going to get and forgiveness.

I am about to start a 40 build and I have a 20gal long as the sump (seems to be a popular combo for 40 builds). I thought about putting a fudge in it but after doing the numbers the fuge would be small. Now I am just going to have a bubble trap before the return and have the rest of the space for a oversized skimmer and space to put a reactor if needed. I'm a weekly water change nut so I'm counting on my husbandry to help out. Just my two cents.

Good luck on the build!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
In terms of the size of a fuge you want to go as big as possible to increase effectiveness. The larger your fuge the more rock and macro you can get in it to help with nutrients. Same for the entire sump, I generally recommend going with as big of a tank as will fit in your stand. I used to have a pair of 20 longs that both had standard 29s as sumps. Keep in mind that your sump won't be at its full capacity in terms of gallons

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
BigRedsReefs10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I have a 40 gallon sump for my 125 gallon tank so it does not have to be 1/2 the size. I like the idea of just being a big as possible and what will fit your needs. Here is a three part link on sumps to help you out in case you have not seen it.

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com