good anemone for a pair of percula clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcinek101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a pair of tank bred percula clowns. I was thinking of adding an anemone for them. Will they share one anemone? What would be a good anemone. I was hoping to stay away from carpets. Tank is 75 gallon, live rock, sand skimmer. Lights are 2 65w 50/50 and 2 65w atinic. The only other coral is a small colony of button polyps. other fish include an algae blenny, a bicolor blenny, and a diamond goby.

There is really no guarantee that the clowns will host the anenome. I bought an anenome and both of my clowns ignored it and went to a bubble coral and a pagoda cup to a hammer coral now. I`ve seen many instances where someone bought an anenome and the clowns stayed away. Here are my two clowns with their two corals. I had to sell the anenome back to the LFS.

Attachments

• 100_0638_210.jpg
    100_0638_210.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1013_102.jpg
    100_1013_102.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 37
Good luck with that.....my two clowns do not host a darn thing. I have a huge torch coral and frog spawn and they don't pay any attention to either of them (or any of the other corals). I had an anenome for a couple of months and they ignored it also (traded it in). My pair aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.....perhaps you'll have better luck. :)

One of my clowns left his anemone to host a rock. Like Mike said there is no guarantee they will host anything.

IMO I dont think it is enough. It comes to about 3 1/2 WPG and even though the wpg rule is a general rule it can be used as a guide. You would need more lighting to house an anenome.

I agree w/ Melosu58 regarding your lighting being a little on the low side for an anemone. They also require mature tanks (6 months old or more) w/ excellent water quality. If you do plan on housing an anemone in the future, I would really suggest getting an aquacultured specimen if at all possible. A bubble-tip anemone would be ok w/ percs, and aquacultured animals are frequently available. They are more acclimated to life in an aquarium, making them hardier and increasing your odds of success, and it doesn't put any pressure on natural resources. HTH

Back
Top Bottom