Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions I will look into those. and as far as lighting goes I didnt really have a price range I was just looking to see what is good and work from there.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #12
Fish R friends, not food!

+1, just got a duncan a couple weeks ago and it is doing great! Lovin it!

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldn't recommend Xenia personally, I've seen it take over way to many tanks if not kept in check. I've even seen it start to grow along the glass. Stick to Zoa's and Shrooms. They are much easier to frag and trade for others and their growth can be controlled quite easily.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniTweak
I wouldn't recommend Xenia personally, I've seen it take over way to many tanks if not kept in check. I've even seen it start to grow along the glass. Stick to Zoa's and Shrooms. They are much easier to frag and trade for others and their growth can be controlled quite easily.
I agree with the taking over part and easy to frag. But mine died after 3 months and my tank is fully established? Heard lots of peoples views on these corals and what they need to survive, even heard that they don't like really clean water.... I read a post about candy cane. Be careful with these and make sure you position it away from other corals because at night they can bring out feeding tentacles that STING! Mine has some almost 4" long!!!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick862

I agree with the taking over part and easy to frag. But mine died after 3 months and my tank is fully established? Heard lots of peoples views on these corals and what they need to survive, even heard that they don't like really clean water.... I read a post about candy cane. Be careful with these and make sure you position it away from other corals because at night they can bring out feeding tentacles that STING! Mine has some almost 4" long!!!
Very true. Frogspawn, hammer, torch and elegance do too. As well as some others. Sting other coral, I mean.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Acroporas are supposed to be good right. They use photosynthesis to get food rather then obtaining plankton as food. Gorgonians are also beginner friendly I believe. I'm a freshwater fishkeeper so I'm not 100% sure.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

All of the corals mentioned so far are photosynthetic. I would not recommend acros until you see some success with some of the easier corals mentioned. They can be quite expensive and from my limited reef experience are easy to kill.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gorgonians can be the hardest coral to keep on the planet if you get something like a blueberry gorg. Acros need a ton of light and perfect water.

Tags
beginner advice, coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com