Good Beginer Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan5

Aquarium Advice Regular
Once my tank gets fully establish I plan on getting some corals. Ive never had any corals and was wondering what some good beginner ones might be? Also what kind of lighting would I need for them. I have a 50 gallon tank.

I started with yellow polyps, my LFS said they are pretty easy, and they are really nice now fully extended and growing.

Zoas are pretty easy corals to keep and they were recommended to me as a starter. So far I have had good luck with them (not saying much, as they have only been in a few days).

For a 50 gal tank, you are going to have to have some pretty good lighting to support corals. What is your budget like? That will help folks make some good suggestions that might fit your budget.

redsea said:
Xenia and Mushrooms are nice and easy. :) they don't require a ton o light either.

+1 check out the pulsing xenias...very tranquil to watch and easy to care for

+1 to xenia and 'shrooms
button polyps would also be a good choice.

And all of those corals spread and reproduce easily once they've settled in. :)

The first ones that I had in my 29 were:
pulsing xenia
frogspawn
torch
polyps
plate
candy cane

All are still alive and doing well. All are pretty easy in my opinion.

You could get any kind of mushroom coral. I just got some for my first coral and they are great. I'm looking into a frogspawn.

Thanks for all the suggestions I will look into those. and as far as lighting goes I didnt really have a price range I was just looking to see what is good and work from there.

I wouldn't recommend Xenia personally, I've seen it take over way to many tanks if not kept in check. I've even seen it start to grow along the glass. Stick to Zoa's and Shrooms. They are much easier to frag and trade for others and their growth can be controlled quite easily.

OniTweak said:
I wouldn't recommend Xenia personally, I've seen it take over way to many tanks if not kept in check. I've even seen it start to grow along the glass. Stick to Zoa's and Shrooms. They are much easier to frag and trade for others and their growth can be controlled quite easily.

I agree with the taking over part and easy to frag. But mine died after 3 months and my tank is fully established? Heard lots of peoples views on these corals and what they need to survive, even heard that they don't like really clean water.... I read a post about candy cane. Be careful with these and make sure you position it away from other corals because at night they can bring out feeding tentacles that STING! Mine has some almost 4" long!!!

Nick862 said:
I agree with the taking over part and easy to frag. But mine died after 3 months and my tank is fully established? Heard lots of peoples views on these corals and what they need to survive, even heard that they don't like really clean water.... I read a post about candy cane. Be careful with these and make sure you position it away from other corals because at night they can bring out feeding tentacles that STING! Mine has some almost 4" long!!!

Very true. Frogspawn, hammer, torch and elegance do too. As well as some others. Sting other coral, I mean.

Acroporas are supposed to be good right. They use photosynthesis to get food rather then obtaining plankton as food. Gorgonians are also beginner friendly I believe. I'm a freshwater fishkeeper so I'm not 100% sure.

All of the corals mentioned so far are photosynthetic. I would not recommend acros until you see some success with some of the easier corals mentioned. They can be quite expensive and from my limited reef experience are easy to kill.

Gorgonians can be the hardest coral to keep on the planet if you get something like a blueberry gorg. Acros need a ton of light and perfect water.

Back
Top Bottom