Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Good book for somebody interested in learning more?

Can anybody recommend a good book for somebody who wants to know about reef aquariums?

I am thinking I want to start learning about them so I can determine if I want to start setting aside some money for one, so the wife can't object so easy...

h2oskierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Flake
i've had good luck with Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies, The New Marine Aquarium, Marine Chemistry.

The first two are a step by step guide to setting up a tank.

Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner.
Maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
H2, I am in the same boat and I agree with both Flake and Maya. The New Marine Aquarium is a very good starter book because it keeps things simple and takes the time to give a layman's explanation of what each piece of equipment does and what the major differences are between the different "flavors" of equipment out there.

I also bought The Conscientious Marine Aquarist and so far I am finding it to be a great resource as well. It is significantly more detailed (and expensive) than New Marine Aquarium.

The first book helped me decide whether I could handle a marine tank, and the second will influence how I go about it in the long run.
doublenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks Everyone for the help! Definitely be making a trip to the bookstore!
h2oskierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I wouldn't bother with "Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies". I wanted to get a saltwater book last year, when I got into the saltwater side, and I skimmed over this one at a bookstore and it wasn't spectacular. If this is your first "serious" tank (testing, proper cycle, research, time, more money than goldfish), then it's helpful.

If you've kept tanks before, than you'll find a lot of the information redundant. There are parts in there that are helpful in explaining RO/DI, water parameters such as Cal. Alk. Copper. Phos. etc, buffers, and a few other more advanced components, but since it's written for beginners, you'll read a lot about the most common topics talked about on this site. Save the $25 for another book or reef supplies.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com