Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-26-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
good combination of fish?

I have a 55gal FOWLR tank, been running about 4 months with a maroon clown and a small pink fish, sorry i dont remember the name, maybe a dottyback, from when i moved from a smaller tank. 2 MJ1200's mounted in the corners are my flow. I do a 10% water change every other Saturday and have not really developed anything yet for a skimmer to remove so its not running. I waited to make sure the tank got reestablished and nothing went array after a move. Now its time to add some other fish. I would like to add 2 - 3 fish, depends on what i add. Can any of you guys recommend or discourage some fish. I'm looking at a drawf lion, maybe a Coral beauty or that caliber angel (hardy yet attractive), maybe a yellow tang, but that ich thing got one time before so im weary even with a QT. And if you think i have something wrong in my setup, outside of no skimmer running at this time, feel free to add that as well.

By the way, the tank has @ 80lbs of live rock and 2-3 inch deep sand bed. Thanks in advance for your thoughts

bschnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
A coral beauty would make a nice addition. My LFS here doesn't have much success in keeping them, so I didn't bother. As far as the Yellow Tang, a 55G IMO would be too small for it. To get an idea on what kinds of fish you can get for a 55G, you can check out liveaquaria.com. They have them in groups, and list the tank sizes that are appropriate, as well as diet. On the left side, they have a compatibility chart as well. Take this with a grain of salt as each fish has their own personality. It will give you a general idea though.
Skimmers are a great thing to have in the tank - especially for messy eaters. The bigger the load, the more the skimmer will work. I have to empty my skimmer cup everyday. Smells aweful!

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Your pink fish sounds like a magenta dottyback. I think the dottyback could become a snack if it get's to close to the lion!
Tank: 55 Gallon
The equipment: Coralife 4x65w (2x10k; 2xActinic), Emperor 400, 2 PH
The Fish: black maroon clown, neon goby, yellow watchman goby, 3 blue-green chromis, royal gramma, and a yellow clown goby.
The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com