good combination of fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bschnuck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gal FOWLR tank, been running about 4 months with a maroon clown and a small pink fish, sorry i dont remember the name, maybe a dottyback, from when i moved from a smaller tank. 2 MJ1200's mounted in the corners are my flow. I do a 10% water change every other Saturday and have not really developed anything yet for a skimmer to remove so its not running. I waited to make sure the tank got reestablished and nothing went array after a move. Now its time to add some other fish. I would like to add 2 - 3 fish, depends on what i add. Can any of you guys recommend or discourage some fish. I'm looking at a drawf lion, maybe a Coral beauty or that caliber angel (hardy yet attractive), maybe a yellow tang, but that ich thing got one time before so im weary even with a QT. And if you think i have something wrong in my setup, outside of no skimmer running at this time, feel free to add that as well.

By the way, the tank has @ 80lbs of live rock and 2-3 inch deep sand bed. Thanks in advance for your thoughts

A coral beauty would make a nice addition. My LFS here doesn't have much success in keeping them, so I didn't bother. As far as the Yellow Tang, a 55G IMO would be too small for it. To get an idea on what kinds of fish you can get for a 55G, you can check out liveaquaria.com. They have them in groups, and list the tank sizes that are appropriate, as well as diet. On the left side, they have a compatibility chart as well. Take this with a grain of salt as each fish has their own personality. It will give you a general idea though.
Skimmers are a great thing to have in the tank - especially for messy eaters. The bigger the load, the more the skimmer will work. I have to empty my skimmer cup everyday. Smells aweful!

Mike

Your pink fish sounds like a magenta dottyback. I think the dottyback could become a snack if it get's to close to the lion!

Back
Top Bottom