Good deal or No?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's ok. Not horrible, but not what one would call a quality skimmer. What size system are you putting it on?

ATM going on a 40b with 20g sump/refugium, but I was hoping to be upgrading to a 125 and was hoping it would possibly work if I made the switch.

That should be fine for the 125. Worst case scenario, you can "mesh wheel mod" it to make it more efficient if the need arises. Google "coralife ss mesh wheel mod".

Thanks Mr X, I'll definitely take a look at that mod.

Mr. X, I looked up the mod for the skimmer and read how everyone has seen higher amounts of waste pulled from their tank, but I also see that a lot of people have issues with impeller life and jamming (probably due to lack of detail during the mod). As I only have experience with a Berlin air lift skimmer, I am still a little nervous to cut apart a brand new skimmer that I have NO experience with. I have read about the inner workings of the needle wheel skimmer design and I am mechanically inclined (I'm an outboard/diesel inboard engine mechanic in the coast guard) should I really be worried or is this a pretty simple DIY?

You aren't messing with the skimmer really, just the needle wheel. You can always replace it if you screw it up, but it's really pretty easy.
And I'm not saying you'll have to. That skimmer might be fine for you right out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom