Good filters with little weekly maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bellman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55G saltwater tank with 2 clownfish, blue tang, yellow tang, blue green chromis, domino damsels, snails nd a hermit. I have live rock and argonite for my base. I currently have one fluval 305 canister, Im not sure i like it too much....i feel like its constanly drity. Any ideas for a proper filter and media for the filter? I want my water to be crystal clear!!

A sump/refugium, filter sock, and protein skimmer would help keep the water cleaner/clearer if you're willing to set up one. I just toss my chaeto every once in a while, clean out the protein skimmer every 4-7 days, and wash the filter sock once a week. Most things are going to take weekly maintenance. How often do you do water changes b/c the will definitely help in keeping the tank in great condition.

Welcome to AA :) obscure pretty much nailed it.. canisters will require a lot more cleaning then a properly set up sump which will do a better job imo anyways.

Canisters work but like the others mentioned there's no getting around cleaning them. I also prefer the sump method.

Agreed. Canister filters are barely useful for fish only systems in my opinion. A sump with attachments as mentioned is far superior, but will require some maintenance as well. But far more capable .

But if you dont have a sump should a canister be run with the hob skimmer? Is liverock and skimmer enough filtration?

You can definitely use the canister for mechanical and chemical filtration. You could also just run it occasionally, like one week out of the month as long as you have plenty of live rock for biological filtration in the tank. That would basically make it a polishing filter to keep the water from yellowing (with carbon) or take out sediment after water changes. Some people run them for a day after a water change then clean em. It's an old school method and still a lot of work. Not worth it IMO.

filter media

so by cleaning your filter you mean to change the media once a week? That could get expensive...any good setups as far as combinations for media in my filter?

Is one canister filter and a protein skimmer sufficent for a 55 gallon sw tank?

bellman said:
Is one canister filter and a protein skimmer sufficent for a 55 gallon sw tank?

Ya thats what i run and have had great sucess. I have the fluval 305, Aquac remora skimmer and 2 hydor pumps for circulation. With weekly water changes my tank is rockin and mu corals are alway growing and have great color.

what media do you have in your fluval 305? I have the same filter.....im not really sure what to use i have heard a million different things... some contradict each other

bellman said:
so by cleaning your filter you mean to change the media once a week? That could get expensive...any good setups as far as combinations for media in my filter?

No no. You just rinse them out. You can use filter sponges and pads for months without changing them. You only toss them when they can't be rinsed clean or start to break down. Some people change them yearly, others a few times a year. You do need to change the carbon out about once a month and regenerate the perigen (if you use it) when it gets dark.

Gregcoyote said:
Yes, with the addition of some good live rock. Called "the Berlin Method" by us old timers.
I'm still ok with the Berlin Method!

bellman said:
what media do you have in your fluval 305? I have the same filter.....im not really sure what to use i have heard a million different things... some contradict each other

Just the 4 sponges and 2 compartements of carbon. Ive tried the fluval nitrate removal stuff but didnt see rrsults. Id use chemipure if it wasnt so expensive where i live.

Back
Top Bottom