good glue for liverocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bawla47

Aquarium Advice Activist
tryin to find a type of glue, that kind of has alot of it, because im going to need a bit. I bought 60 lbs of liverock and its been in the tank, alot of the pieces arent big really, alot of small pieces. I wante dto glow alot of them together, to help aqascape the tank alot better soon. What wold you do?

thanks in advance

Jay D

Two part epoxy would probably be your best bet although I would be cautious not to glue to many together so as you can remove the rock later if you need to. Examples of needing to remove the rock would be moving the tank, having to remove something large thats dead behind the rocks or just having to remove a uncorporating fish or invert.

any 2 part epoxy would be ok? im just a bit weary, dont want any chemicals or anything disolving in the water and killin my fish :(

Is it OK to put super glue in the tank though? Also does it work under water? I just got some frags and one wont stay where I want it so I needed to move it lower down to a more sturdy place. Also which is a good under water adhesive?

they make special 2-part epoxy 'clay' for sticking LR together. if your LFS doesn't stock it, they can order it. this is safe to use underwater before it cures. other non-fish safe epoxy would have to cure out in the air first for 24-48 hours.

Super glue works under water...many people use it to glue coral frags down. I would think the thicker, gel super glue might work better since it wont' be washed away as easily when you submerge it. But I could be wrong, as I've never used any superglue underwater.

Super Glue works great for frags, it's cheap and effective.

However, only use the Super Glue Gel. It's easy to buy the wrong kind. You just have to look at the packaging.

home depot sells the two part puddy epoxy for about three or four dollars...about ten less than you would pay at the LFS. You smoosh it up to mix it together, put it into the water and you have about thirty minutes to place whatever you like into a desired location.

Crazy glue gel has always underimpressed me. It never sticks, too watery, all but useless (out of the water. Forget about it under water). During the week I stopped at Wal-Mart to pick up some loc-tite. I remember someone saying that we could buy it in bigger tubes. I only found it in standard 4g size (same as crazy glue) but thought I'd try it anyway. It is AMAZING! Sticks really well. I'll never use crazy glue again! I was able to take rocks from the water, pile on some glue and then stick that to another rock in the water and have them stick. Finally, a solution I can count on. I just had to rave!

Back
Top Bottom