Good Hood Lining Material?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omcnair

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got finished making a hood for my 72 Gallon Tank.
It has two 250w MH (6,500k) and twoVHO actinics (boy is it hot in there).

I salvaged a reflector from my old hood, but that was only big enough to line the very top of the hood (where the bulbs are mounted).

Here’s my question: What would make a good reflective material to line the sides of the hood with?

Thanks
Oliver

Yes. I have two fans. One blowing in and one blowing out. They help keep the room at a very comfortable temperature 8) .

No pics yet.

Note on the fan blowing out. You might want to keep an eye on that to make sure it does not prematurly fail. I have heard stories about fans blowing out in canopys failing due to corosion.

Many prefer to have both fans blowing IN. Then having an open back or have vents in the top or back to release the hot air.

I would just use a good quality white paint. Unless you can find a source on-line for some flat polished aluminum, but it probably would have a minimum quantity order. I think the white paint should work very well for you, it’s cheap so give that a try first, if you don’t like it no big deal, just cover it latter with something more reflective.

Thanks!! Sounds like I'll be going the flat white paint route.

Oliver

Back
Top Bottom