Good News....Bad News!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bad news first I have to move my tank! :mad: Good News is I have plenty of time to do it. I mean months like till the end of the year. I want to upgrade my 55g to a 90g. I also have the option of having this tank up and running before I move.I want to do it right the first time. Should I use the existing sand in my 55g or should I go all new sand? I think I wanna go all new sand and was thinking about CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand and CaribSea Reef Aragalive Sand. How many lbs will give would give me a 4" sand bed. Should I use a plenum? What sump refugium should I use? What return pump? I am going to use the live rock in my 55g which is 100lbs. I also plan on buying another 100lbs. Should I go with 2 corner overflows or just 1 corner overflow? Please give an advice you can so this is done right the first time. Thank you!

Use this for your sand bed calculation. Sand Bed

And use new sand. Toss the old stuff. The transferred rocks will give you all the bacteria you'll need for the new tank and likely no cycle will occur.

Sounds fun.

Go new sand, Maybe keep 2 handfuls wet from your old tank to mix in with the new stuff so it gives the sandbed a kickstart.
As Austin said, use your old LR and you will most likely not see a cycle.
Good luck!

sump pump

here is a sump pump question! I was under the impression that you should have around 10x turn over rate between your sump and display. If this is true why do 90g tanks come with one corner overflow rated at 600gph?

Back
Top Bottom