Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2003, 11:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

good news, bad news

The good news is ; my diatom bloom is over, The bad news is; I now have green haie algae. I use all R/O water for everything. I cut my halides down to 1- 2 hours last week to help out. I can scrape it off of the glass but I have it on 2 pieces of live rock. How do you get it off of the live rock? I have hermits (electric blue, and zebra hermits?) as well as three kinds of snails. I also have one royal gramms and a bicolor blennie. No one toches the hair algae. I have read a lot of material about checkiing phosphates etc. Any other suggestions?

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 12:11 PM   #2

Nitrates and Phosphates are usually the cause, however, not all algae from what I understand is a bad thing...If it takes over, then yes, real bad... I wouldn't cut the lights back too much, or you will harm the rest of the benificial things in the tank...I would drop back on feeding to maybe once a day, and then only enough that they can consume in 5 min. A skimmer can help to get rid of DOC, and regular water changes will get the Nitrate and Phosphate levels down... I have noticed about 3 different types of what I call hair algae in mine, and it is staying in certain spots.. I am monitoring it to see what happens...

BTW, an old tooth brush is a good tool to remove it off of the rocks...
You can also grab it with your fingers and pull the clumps off the rock fairly easy
Old 07-25-2003, 02:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here are some pictures, I dont think it is that bad. I do have a skimmer and do not feed very much. Are these the same types? It seems to collect where the powerheads come out.
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
Old 07-25-2003, 02:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is another, my poor feather duster!
Old 07-25-2003, 04:15 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
that is enough to bug me, if it were my tank
Old 07-25-2003, 04:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to seapony Send a message via MSN to seapony
hair algea

Had the same in my tank a few months after I started. I would let it grow about an inch or so and then pull it out by hand, being careful not to let it stay in the tank. after a while it just quit growing. Its ok if it stays in one area, but you have to keep an eye on it and keep hanking it out when it gets over grown.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to brewercm
I had a real bad outbreak at one time and the only thing that really eats it well were some mexican turbo snails. They mowed right through it.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Should I change my lighting? I have my actinics on for 8 hours total, my halides on for 5 hours.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com