Good Price for salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am from Long Island, NY. I know there are some other members from this area. I will be starting a sw tank next week. I would like to know if anybody knows a place to get good prices on salt? I was looking towards IO salt. I know I can go to drsfostersmith.com for a decent price. Is this the way I should go? Would I get better prices from a petco? The hobby is exspensive enough. I would like to buy salt from the cheapest place. I just wanted to know what other people from my area do to buy salt. Thanks!
Jim

Ordering salt online will cost you a fair amount in shipping. The buckets are heavy items and they are extra shipping. Your best bet for good prices on salt online is http://www.thatfishplace.com as they are on the east coast so shipping is a little easier. Still you can expect up to $15 per bucket in shipping.

I buy my IO salt good for 50 plus gallons at my LFS (Congressional Aquarium) for $9.99. The cheapest in town! Sorry I wan't much for help. You'll lose by getting the salt shipped over. I'd rather go to LFS.

Another option would be petsmart if you have one in the area. Most stores will match their online prices if you bring a printout of the item in particular. I have done that to buy some canister filters for my FW tanks. I've ordered salt from Drsfostersmith since they dont charge the weight fees

drfostersmith.com has stopped the extra weight fee and it is on sale now for $33.99 for 160 gal bucket.

That is where I looked. It came out to $42.98. Petsmart has it for $31.99 online. If my local Petsmart will take the online price then that would save me money. I will have to see. Thanks for everyones help.
Jim

I paid less than $28 a bucket delivered to my house but I had to buy 64 buckets. Not going to help you much.

Just to update everyone. I went to Petsmart. Their price for IO 160 gal salt was $45.99. The price at petsmart.com was $31.99. I went to Petsmart with a printout of the salt for $31.99. They did a price change at the register and I paid $34.75 after tax. I will be doing that more often. I saved alot of money. Thanks penpitt!
Jim

The cost for the same 160 gal bucket at my LFS is upward of $70 last time I looked. With prices like that you can see its indeed far cheaper for some of us to buy online and pay high shipping fees.

I usually don't buy anything from Petsmart, but if I can save that much on salt, then I will keep buying the salt from them. If you buy from drsfostersmith.com then the shipping isn't that much.

I just wish my Petsmarts here sold the 200 gallon buckets of Oceanic because I would do that. But when Drsfostersmith had there free shipping in December and no weight charges for salt I bought 3 buckets of Oceanic salt then. That should last me around 6 months.

Wow! Gonna have to check with drfostersandsmith tomorrow since I have to order some stuff anyway. Way cool if I can get salt at no extra shipping charge. Betting I'm not eligible though due to location. We do have Petsmart on the way here in Anchorage though, so may be able to use the price matching thing :) I currently pay $22 for a 50 gallon bag of IO, and that's at Petco here.

Several smaller pet stores here have went out of business recently just because Petsmart is on the way.

I'm waiting of a free bucket from Kent. I emailed them about a low pH problem I was seeing and after sending them a 1 lb sample they agreed that it was low in pH and Alk. So they are sending me a new bucket to make up for the buffers I've been using.

Back
Top Bottom