Good RO unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking about taking the plunge and buying a RO unit. I would like a 3 stage system. It may be the only way to finally get my nitrates to zero. I am currently using tap water. I have heard that Kent Marine makes a nice one. Does anyone have any recamendations for me? Any other suggestions? Price range between $200 and $250. Thanks! Lando

It's probably OK. I prefer clear filter housings and I don't much like the inline DI filter. The price is certainly right though.

That unit is an excellent unit. I purchased the Barracuda back in 12/03 & I am very impressed with the unit.
I run a RO drinking unit in the kitchen. This unit has 5 stages but the 5 are just a dual sediment filter, carbon, RO, then a carbon polisher. There is no DI as a final stage so the TDS is about 10-15 ppm. The simple 4 stage Barracuda results in 0 TDS for the final makeup water due to the DI unit. My incoming TDS varies from 100 to 230 ppm.
This is the unit to get for reef keeping, just remember that whenever you use a DI unit vs just an RO, your replacement cartridge cost goes up about $20-22 for the DI resin replacement. You should also invest in the additional $22 for their RO membrane flush kit. It's just a couple of quick disconnect tees & a one-way valve connected to a couple of pieces of short tubing that allows you to flush the RO membrane. The flushing washes away the sediment film that accumulates on one side of the membrane. Doing this will give you almost twice the life on the membrane unit.

Logan, forgive me for saying this! :oops:

You can buy this unit for $40 cheaper from one of our sponsors: Darin from captive reefs. Go figure when a distributor can sell it for less than the actual manufacturer. They are both sponsors on this forum.
I have purchased from both Logan (captiveraisedcorals) & Darin (captivereefs) and would highly recommend both parties. I know that Logan also carries the unit on his website but $40 is $40. (sorry again Logan)

Back
Top Bottom