Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Correct but the OP is talking about it sitting under the tank and being fed and returned to the tank. That is the issue
I missed it that there wasnt a sump at all. Sorry for the miss leading info.

I agee with the Capt and m3 it sounds like having something gravity fed and returned by pump other that a sump you my be asking for problems.

You could make a small (just large enough for the skimmer) acrylic sump for the skimmer.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
I use Remora HOB skimmer, works great for me.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all the replies guys, I would love to get a sump, but have no room right now. I would have just enough for a stand alone protein skimmer under the tank, but they aren't too common.

In the end I think I'll go with the HOB Remora, as it only needs 2 3/4" behind the tank. It isn't perfect as I'll have a big device sticking up from my tank. Does anyone know, in the future when I get a bigger stand can I put the HOB Remora on the sump instead of the DT?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #14
Thanx but no.....

You'd have to DIY to extend the intake tube to the proper depth, possibly the outtake too unless the splash didn't bother you. Performance may suffer since the pump isn't rated for that head height (though you could replace that too).

IMO
Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
is back to save the day!

Yeah i agree with the Captain. I was going to do this as well, and put my HOB on my sump, but when i learned that head height ruins everything, and the fact i didnt have the money for the new pump to minimize head loss.. then i just decided to keep it on the tank. I don't know what you plan to do, but when the time comes, i plan to just get a whole new skimmer to go in the sump.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

okay, so I won't use it in my sump when I get one. I guess I'll just have to get a second larger tank (when space permits) along with nice sump and in sump skimmer.

I can use my current 50gal as a quarantine tank

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com