gorgonian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i know that gorgonians are no light corals, but will they suffer from being under MH lights? i have a medium to high flow spot half way up my 75g with 2 x 250watt MH and 2x54watt t5. would this coral be okay under the light?

thanks
steve r

i know that gorgonians are no light corals,
This is not exactly ture. The darker species of gorgonia are outter reef animals and live in cooler darker water, however, they still do need some light. the inner reef species tend to be more colorful and recent success in the home aquarium tends to be attributed to high water flow and good lighting.

Steve, you may be suprised with the growth rate of the gorgs... as lando said, the gorgs you get at most reef/fish stores are going to be the light loving kind... I think you will do well with them providing the water conditions are good.

good info. thank you very much. i am vigilant with care for my reef, so hopefully it will go well. the one i am looking at is orange/yellow with blue polyps. really cool looking

thanks again for the inof

steve r

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago and I think steve-s told me that if the polyps are white they are primarily filter feeding, and if the polyps are of a different color they are lighting dependent.

I was givin a Purple Sea Fan, and it is doing awesome in my 29gal under NO lighting. The polyps extend every night and I can see some growth already! I have it placed way up high and almost directly in the current from my PH's! It has already shed a couple times and each time it does it seems to get bigger!

Back
Top Bottom