Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

gorgonian

Anyone have any experience with, or suggestions for, this guy:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4

Try? Don't try? My aquarium has been running for a year and a half, and I have several successful soft corals: Huge hairy mushrooms, two toadstool leathers, big frogspawn, lots of smaller mushrooms (blue, red, green ricordia) .

I've never had a branching coral like this one, but it looks interesting. Advice?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

if you have a low light-strong flow area in your tank and you dose with phyto,marine snow, or simmilar coral food- you should be good. ive heard that they are pretty hardy but i have seen lots in different tanks that are suffering due to algae buildup.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I hear a toothbrush works well for algae buildup on these.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

AFAIK those gorgonias are not photosynthetic and will require supplemental feedings. They utilize only plankton for all of their energy. A gorgonia that is both a filter-feeder and photosynthetic will be a lot easier to keep and will not require supplemental feedings. Here is an example- http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...catid=1524&N=0.
Good luck.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you, all...

I was curious because Saltwaterfish.com offered me one from their list of freebies for repeat customers. I did order it, and I am amazed at the size they sent! This thing is 8 inches tall, with 3 large branches which divide into at least 10-12 branches (am I making sense?) When all the little polyps come out, it's just gorgeous!

Thank you for your help....I do have Phytoplankton (Kent Marine ChromaMax), which I'll feed it (3 times a week?) . I can just add it to the tank, right, no target feeding necessary? Should i make sure I feed it when all the polyps are open?

I put it at the bottom of the tank, and there's a powerhead directed almost exactly at it. Good?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is a beautiful gorgonian. Sounds like you got a good one and that your set it up right.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Make sure you keep up the dosage. Only target feed every now and then.
They aren't that hard, but you have to make sure you have a few types of filter feeder foods available and you don't overdose.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Make sure you keep up the dosage
Quote:
don't overdose
I'm not sure I understand.

The only filter-feeding food I have is Kent Marine ChromaMax phytoplankton, and the instructions say to feed one drop per 50 gallons every other day. I have 75 gallons, and I thought I would try 2 drops 3x weekly. Will I have to target feed the gorgonian? There's a method people use with the bottom cut off a soda bottle, right?

My other corals are various mushrooms, anthelia, frogspawn, and two toadstool leathers. These don't filter feed, am I right? I'm becoming more coral-confused as I go!

By the way, the gorgonian is flourishing, is the prettiest non-fish I have in the tank right now ( except maybe the frogspawn, to which I'm partial)! I do want to keep it healthy, please all give more advice!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can use a turkey baster to target feed. Put the two drop in a cup and add tank water. Suck it up in the baster and slowly spray the gorgonian. The other corals will like it too.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK, so I turkey-baster-spray the gorgonian with phyto-plankton mix. This obviously goes eveywhere in the tank. Will my other corals benefit?
C'mom, guys 'n' gals, I'm a newbie here!!! A year and a half is still newbie -ish, right?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com