Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Gorgonian only tank

So here's my plan... My girlfriend and I are opening a restaurant, I want to put a 75 gallon gorgonian tank in there. I think it will be an awesome project. I think the colors of the filter feeding gorgonians are awesome. I'm goin to have low lighting on the tank cause they hate algea. The one I had previously would look at algea and deteriate... Was looking for input, and wanted to know if anyone else has tried this. I'm thinking for fish I'm going to go with coral gobies and flashers.. And a bunch of sexy shrimp. Let me know your thoughts

Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gorgonians are really difficult to keep. You need a lot of flow. Also, no phosphates in the system because it kills them. You also need to feed them unless you have a good amount of fish.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yup. I always keep lots of pyto and zooplankton and marine snow in the fridge. I had an orange flame one before but my tank spiked in phosphates about 5 months after I had it. Some of my macro got caught up in the return sump and mulched.. I have about 3 years experience with my 125 gallon.. Going to use a uv to help with keeping algea at a minimum and a massive skimmer. I'm not worried about keeping pristine water at all. And I'm only keeping gorgonians in there so I'm using minamal light.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright, then it sounds like you know what you're going to do lol. What's the filtration going to be? I would use phosban in a media container or macro algae in a refugium to help keep anything bad from rising.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will need to be selective in the one's you get.Some require medium to high lighting.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef
You will need to be selective in the one's you get.Some require medium to high lighting.
Which ones? I've only seen non photosynthetic ones so far.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb

Which ones? I've only seen non photosynthetic ones so far.
Purple bush,orange tree .Check Liveaquaria.com,They give the info on the different ones.Sounds like an interesting tank you are planning.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef

Purple bush,orange tree .Check Liveaquaria.com,They give the info on the different ones.Sounds like an interesting tank you are planning.
Will do! Really like gorgonians.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I'm putting it in my restaurant.. I'm trying no go for something very unique. I plan on converting my sea clone 100 into a media reactor and will be putting a small amount of phosban in there with the combination of macro,s in the refugium. After the tank is established I will be putting some mandarins in there as well, a mated pair, I have a pair now, when they were in the fish store they were starving to death.. Very fat now though. And yes I use a pod factory. There will be no photosynthetic gorgonians only filter feeders.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sea clone 100 is useless that's why I'm using it as a media reactor

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com