gorgonian placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a gorgonian today, type so far unknown, description is red with white polyps.(I will be searching for what it is in a little bit...too much to do right now :))
Can anyone advise me as to placement in the tank as regards to water flow and lighting on gorgonians in general? I have no experience with them.

Generally speaking....they'll need low to moderate lighting and moderate to high water flow. Ofcourse each species has it's own needs. Place it on the bottom preferable attached to a piece of LR and once you find out the species you can adjust accordingly.

From what I have found, it appears to be a red finger gorgonian...

i agree with fireman low light high water flow if the water flow isn't strong the polyps will not come out much itll stifen then die

Feeding tip: get some good liquid food...your choice....when feeding add just a few drops to the water and wait 30mins. The polyps on the gorg will open up (hopefully) then feed the tank with the liquid. Word of caution...don't feed the liquid stuff too often (1-3 times a week) otherwise you will foul the tank.

thanks for the advice on research before I buy...whatever its needs are, I CAN provide, and so felt perfectly comfortable in buying it. Seeing as I had 3 hours of acclimation time to figure out just where I was going to place it.

But the advice is good, and I do follow it ;)

Back
Top Bottom