Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #1

Can anyone tell me what they know about Gorgonians? I ran into this guy who's selling some for like $15 a piece..and I was wondering if they are a good investment..and what their requirements are..If anyone can help I'd appreciate it..TIA
Old 05-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Gorgonians are a very diverse group. We would really need to know exactly which gorg he has for sale. Some of them, you can't kill...others, you can't keep alive. See if you can get some more info.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #3
Depending on what type, Gorgs are somewhat easy to keep. There are a few that require feeding, however I have not seen them readily available in the LFS.. Most are photosynthetic?... I have one and it is doing ok under semi strong lighting.. I read that they like a mid to high water flow and strong lighting.. I believe mine would be better say if I had MH lighting...

Do you know what kind of Gorg it is???
Old 05-27-2004, 01:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
they like a mid to high water flow and strong lighting
Mine do better with STRONG current. I have a silver that does OK with moderate current but two other varieties only open with strong current. This may be more important than lighting for some varieties.
Anemoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
Really need a pictue of what you want to say for sure. Like logan said some are hardy others are doomed!
captivereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
Hey guys thanx..I'll find out more after work today about which kind..what I do know is its Photo. so I guess thats a plus..
Old 05-27-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a purple tree gorgonia and it really adds a lot to my tank. I have had it for about 8 months and it is doing well. They require strong water flow and mine prefers low to medium light, in the corner of the tank. I feed it DT's and it is really amazing to watch the hundreds of white polyps come out when it feeds. they come out durng the morning when the lights are off but there is light in the room. For $15 I say go for it.
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a yellow that has been doign good for a few weeks. It cmoes out when I feed and seems to be growing a little.I like hte look I say go for it
kidkameleon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:56 PM   #9
Whelp! I saw it..It was rather dull..It looked just gray with white polyps..He said he didn't know the exact name for it..He's had it for a few years and has fragged it a couple of times..He said he never really did anything with it...He put it in and that was pretty much it..with the occassional phyto adds...He said he has some more colorful ones he'll be fragging soon...I suppose I'll wait and see those..Thanks again everyone..

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com