Got a SW tank question.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crusis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been setting up FW tanks for 2 decades now, and love them! But my wife is getting the SW bug, and she's sort of dragging me in too.

Is there a recommended tank size for a noob? Is there a tank size/setup that is easier to not screw up if you're a noob? Personally, I'd rather have a large tank, I'd like to see the OCEAN when I look in there. But if going big will be too hard and put the fish in danger, I'll start small.

Advice for a clueless FW guy?

well truthfully the larger the tank the better!!! If you want big... GO BIG!!! you will have less fluxuation in your parameters that way.. Good Luck!!!!

How big is your wallet? This will determine how big you go. Remember, the bigger you go, the more expensive it gets. I currently have a 120gal. If I had the room, I would get a 300 gal. Everyone here typically feels the same way as the requirements for marine species call for more volume, and the fish/coral selection is huge. ;)

Mike

I started with and still have my 75gal.. But as you move along you like species which need alot more room..

I say the bigger the better, anywhere between a 100-150 would give you room for alot of choices livestock/coral wise..

Awesome! Glad to hear it. I don't have the money yet, but will just keep putting $$ in the jar until it is full and see what we can get. Thank you all very much for the input.

I'd go 75g is you can afford it. 55g is good too, just harder to layout since it has so little depth.

does she have a fish wish list?
Id go with a tank that was big enough to house the fish that had the largest tank needs (assuming it is a reasonable fish, some shouldn't really be sold)

greenmaji said:
does she have a fish wish list?

That's a great question. We've walked around at the local fish store, but neither of us really know much about SW fish yet. My daughter has chimed in that we need a Dora and a Nemo. So I bet that's the starting point.

Back
Top Bottom