got aiptasia from snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redneckgearhead

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey everyone i noticed today that i had some aiptasia pop up on my SS. I scooped it out and pitched it. But where did it come from? Ive had the tank up for about 6 mos and havent noticed any, and this tank was set up for at least 5 yrs before i got it with no aiptasia and now after buying snails and one damsel (may he rest in peace). I drip acclimate my snails and fish and then pick out the fish/inverts and place in DT and pour out the water. So did where did it come from? Could it have come from the surface of the fish/inverts? I know my LFS has aiptasia in some of the tanks, but i didnt think i could get it if i didnt use there water. If I can get it from the fish/inverts how do i prevent it? thanks for your help

Not likely, but possible to be on the shell of the snail. Do you have a sump? Sometimes if you stir the sump you can get aiptasia that you thought you didn't have... that way.

Not likely, but possible to be on the shell of the snail. Do you have a sump? Sometimes if you stir the sump you can get aiptasia that you thought you didn't have... that way.

wow ok that mite explain it. I did move some of the crushed coral SS to the sump and replace it with sand. Maybe that did it. The aiptasia was close to the area i was working on. Thats the only thing ive done to DT just before i got the sails and the Damsel RIP. thanks all

Do you recommend "The Dip" when adding fish or invertes?

I have not done so. I believe that a "DIP" will more then likely kill some inverts. but i'm not sure.

wow ok that mite explain it. I did move some of the crushed coral SS to the sump and replace it with sand. Maybe that did it. The aiptasia was close to the area i was working on. Thats the only thing ive done to DT just before i got the sails and the Damsel RIP. thanks all

Do you recommend "The Dip" when adding fish or invertes?

If you are not going to QT fish then yes. It has to be done very carefully and properly with freshwater/methylene blue.
For inverts, you cannot dip snails, shrimp etc you can only dip coral and NOT in freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom