Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2004, 11:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Got Allege... Should I get a shrimp?

So, I have my tank all setup finally. All that's in it at the moment is some lace rock and 20Lbs of "Agra-Alive" sand. I've got 80 watts of light on it and I've been leaving it on 24hrs/day. I have a digital timer but haven't programmed it yet because I wanted to see if any allege would grow. Well, I didn't think it was going to and then, over night, the sand suddenly sprouted growth. There's rusty green splotches of fuzz all over the sand now. It's onset was quite sudden. 2 weeks of nothing and then 'whammo'. I wont be getting my live rock and 'real' live sand untill I get my taxes in a few more weeks. Should I let this stuff grow? or get a shrimp or snails to eat it up? Should I start cycling my lights?

16 Gallon
80 watts 50/50 10,000k 6,500k lights
160 gal/hr powerhead
Plan on FOWLR for a few months to a year and then (maybe) a coral or two.

P.S. Iced Eath rules! Buy their new album! (shameless plug)

Old 01-24-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to BONESTOCK
you have 80 watts on a 16 gallon tank? Dayum...haha....umm..I'd start cycling the lights now....no need for all that algea....soon you won't be able to tame it. Then again I may be wrong as I'm just a noob compared to some of these very knowledgable people here.

Old 01-24-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

lol... Yea, I have my own little Sun in the middle of my living room. Some of these guys have 10watts per gallon... I couldn't even imagine that much light. But, of course, none of this compares to the REAL thing... imagine what it's like in a real tropical reef sitting on the equator and having the brunt of the sunlight on you year round.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to BONESTOCK
tropical reef setting......instead I'm here in MA and freezing my $%#@ off.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

You think you got it bad? I'm in Wisconsin! We had a snow storm yesterday... it's been around 0 for over a week.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Initial algae blooms are common, and you should just let it cycle through. Your tank should be currently "cycling" which means that any livestock you add, especially snails or shrimp, will most likely die from the toxic ammonia and nitrite levels.

I would only keep the lights on a few hours at the most if you want to view the tank. Nothing requires light at this point and it will simply increase the algae. When the cycle is complete and your parameters (Ammonia & Nitrite) are back to 0ppm then you can establish a cleanup crew in the tank.

The algae blooms will continue over the first few months regardless as the tank matures. They normally will start to occur less frequently and less intense each time.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 01:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool, thanks!
Old 01-25-2004, 08:53 PM   #8
cj10488

Quote:
Some of these guys have 10watts per gallon
I have almost 12wpg on my 55 LOL

James

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com