Got an api reef test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone else had trouble understanding the API reef kit it seems so complicated trying to figure some of it out

I understand it....but that **** calcium test is beyond annoying...and time consuming. Do you need help with anything in particular?

It was the calcium test I was having troubles with but got it sorted after reading the instructions a million times over its beyond a joke surely they would have something a bit more practice then that by now haha

Yes that is a good point haha i figured I'm only starting and I only got beginner corals so it should be alright

I o ly got mine today so ill probably have it for a while haha I also got the master saltwater test kit that's much easier to use

Not a a good test kit. They are off most of the time. U should try salifert test kit. There very accurate.

API will do just fine IMO, not as fancy as the others but its kinda like ya get what ya pay for...

It can be frustrating at times...

I will get a better one some day soon but that will be when I start getting hard corals and stuff

Don't sweat it... Your API kit will get you through... Some people don't even have test kits, so kudos to you for being on track (y)

I wanna do it all right my LFS is a big seller of API and Red Sea but I didn't have the money to get a Red Sea test kit

I won't haha I got told if I want to hard corals ill need to test for magnesium and some others to is that right?

Aw okay ill look into getting them tests in the next month or so and ill buy any dosing stuff before to just to be per paired

Don't waste your money... you're not going to need any "dosing stuff". Regular water changes are more than plenty for soft corals.

Agreed. You probably won't need to dose for a long time. I started doing after a year. Corals really took off and calcium etc kept coming up a little low. I used B-ionic 2 part.

API Test Kit

I too am a newbie. We have had our tank up and running for about 2 months now. I was using API test kit and discovered my phospate kit did the same for every water I used on it. I took water to the LFS to have it tested. API said .25 and when they tested with a hanna test it was .90! That is part of our problems so I bought the hanna test kit right then and there. Can't say we have it down like it should be but I bought Salifert tests for the rest of the stuff and am just now getting use to it.

Back
Top Bottom