Got crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Continuing my research...

I've read pros and cons about keeping hermit crabs (and other types of crabs) in a tank. Can anyone elaborate on their own views in terms of pros and cons. They seem like good scavengers to help keep the detritus under control. What's the downside?

Any particularly good/bad crabs to keep in mind/avoid?

PS. My skimmer arrived today and the final silicone is curing in my sump. RO/DI unit has been ordered, and sand is on the way. If it all comes together by midweek next week, I'll get it up and running with live rock and a dead shrimp chaser. Wouldn't be possible without the generous and helpful input of you all out there on the web. Thanks again!

Hermits are, in my opinion, great scavengers. I keep tons in my reef and they are always eating up extra food/ fish waste etc. The downside is that they are known as oportunistic feeders. They will, if they can, grab live food, though the opportunity is rare.
One crab I would personally avoid is the arrow crab, if you are intending on keeping any snails. I had to take one back because when he got hungry he started killing all my margartia snails, and even tried to take out a blue leg hermit.

I would definitely get a couple of the scarlet reef hermits. They are a little larger than the blue/red legs and they are fun to watch and seem to have alot of personality.

Agree with what PatM stated. Hermits are great. They may grab a snail now and then but are too slow to do any real damage to fish and most other inverts. I have one Blue Legged Hermit that has grown to 2" across. You can see him in my gallery. :) He is actually one of my prized inverts.
I have a few emerald crabs as well and they seen content to graze on algae all day.
Porcelain Crabs are harmless filter feeders. I received 2 as gifts on some live rock over the summer. Fun to watch and bother no one. In fact the larger of the 2 makes his home right by my Scarlet Skunk Cleaners.
I agree to avoid Arrow Crabs and watch for Rock Crabs when you get live rock. I had a rock crab take out a Scooter Dragonet and possibly a Clown. :(

I think a rock crab just took out my mandarin too. I watched my arrow crab snag a cleaner shrimp and eat a couple of snails and hermits. He got evicted and went back to the lfs. The only crab I have (besides the unknown rock crabs) are hermits and a sally lightfoot.

Ok, so now I add some new species to my pest control list. I hope I will be able to identify all of these when my first-ever batch of live rock arrives next week.

My pest list now includes: aiptasia, mantis shrimp, at least one species of bristle worm, rock crab, arrow crab, and decorator crab.

Any others I should know about?

Here's a good crab url: http://www.edge-of-reef.com/brachiuri/brachiurilistaen.htm

With any luck , by the middle of next week I'll be picking crabs off my rocks. ( :!: )

Back
Top Bottom