Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2005, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Got crabs?

Continuing my research...

I've read pros and cons about keeping hermit crabs (and other types of crabs) in a tank. Can anyone elaborate on their own views in terms of pros and cons. They seem like good scavengers to help keep the detritus under control. What's the downside?

Any particularly good/bad crabs to keep in mind/avoid?

PS. My skimmer arrived today and the final silicone is curing in my sump. RO/DI unit has been ordered, and sand is on the way. If it all comes together by midweek next week, I'll get it up and running with live rock and a dead shrimp chaser. Wouldn't be possible without the generous and helpful input of you all out there on the web. Thanks again!

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hermits are, in my opinion, great scavengers. I keep tons in my reef and they are always eating up extra food/ fish waste etc. The downside is that they are known as oportunistic feeders. They will, if they can, grab live food, though the opportunity is rare.
One crab I would personally avoid is the arrow crab, if you are intending on keeping any snails. I had to take one back because when he got hungry he started killing all my margartia snails, and even tried to take out a blue leg hermit.

I would definitely get a couple of the scarlet reef hermits. They are a little larger than the blue/red legs and they are fun to watch and seem to have alot of personality.

75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree with what PatM stated. Hermits are great. They may grab a snail now and then but are too slow to do any real damage to fish and most other inverts. I have one Blue Legged Hermit that has grown to 2" across. You can see him in my gallery. He is actually one of my prized inverts.
I have a few emerald crabs as well and they seen content to graze on algae all day.
Porcelain Crabs are harmless filter feeders. I received 2 as gifts on some live rock over the summer. Fun to watch and bother no one. In fact the larger of the 2 makes his home right by my Scarlet Skunk Cleaners.
I agree to avoid Arrow Crabs and watch for Rock Crabs when you get live rock. I had a rock crab take out a Scooter Dragonet and possibly a Clown.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think a rock crab just took out my mandarin too. I watched my arrow crab snag a cleaner shrimp and eat a couple of snails and hermits. He got evicted and went back to the lfs. The only crab I have (besides the unknown rock crabs) are hermits and a sally lightfoot.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, so now I add some new species to my pest control list. I hope I will be able to identify all of these when my first-ever batch of live rock arrives next week.

My pest list now includes: aiptasia, mantis shrimp, at least one species of bristle worm, rock crab, arrow crab, and decorator crab.

Any others I should know about?

Here's a good crab url: http://www.edge-of-reef.com/brachiur...urilistaen.htm

With any luck , by the middle of next week I'll be picking crabs off my rocks. ( )

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Britleworms aren't so bad. The arrow crab will eat them also.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
hermit crabs are the best in my opinion...they clean the tank of algae and bits of food,and they provide excellent entertainment

Tags
crab, crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com