Got my first Anemone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night I bought my first Anemone. It is a Common long tentical. I have a few concerns though. After I acclimated it, I placed it in the general area I wanted it. Of course it moved which is no problem. (I expected that) But my peppermint shrimp has not left it alone since I put in the tank. He sits just out of reach of the tenticales and when the current blows a stray one towards him he grabs it and starts yanking. I checked on the Anemone today after I got home from work and have noticed a few of the tenticals are darker than the rest of the anemone and have kind of shrunken. Do you think this is going to be a problem should I remove the shrimp? I would hate to do that as he is one of the first inhabitants I put in the tank a year ago. But i would rather have the anemone. the other concern is more from ignorance. I am kind of afraid of getting stung. I think it is because I don't really know how the work. Do they have a stinger like a bee inside their tentacles or is the tip of the tentacle venomous and acts more like an irritant to the skin. I just did the reverse of the guy at the LFS when i put it in the tank.(i was very careful). Is it really that painful if you get stung.

TIA
Ian

The tentacle will retract and be at odd sizes occasionally. It's nothing to be concerned about. Their nematocysts can be quite strong but that also depends on how healthy and how "sticky" the anemone is. An anemone with clowns will usually have the strongest reaction as it is always being stimulated. If you do get "stung" it's more like a burning reaction that results in welts and then a rash. I have had some beaut's over half my arm. Run the affected area under hot tap water for a few minutes.

When working around them, it's best to wear rubber gloves or at least cover your hand in a plastic sandwhich bag. Do not use garbage bags as some may be coated with germicides or perfumes.

As far as the peppermint is concerned, it is most likely just investigating the new addition. They will not typically pester an anemone unless it has just been fed (which I do not recommend unless there are no fish) or there is some sort of necrosis.

Cheers
Steve

Well he tried to commit suicide last night. When I went to bed he was nestled nicely between two pieces of live rock. When i woke up this morning i had to untangle him from the filter inlet. He is still alive and now I'm watching him closely. I've also shortened the inlet tube so it is out of his reach. Just crossing my fingers hoping he isn't hurt too bad.

Ian

Also whenever you get anemones get a inlet cover to put over powerheads/filter intakes so it wont kill the anemone.

As long as the foot is undamaged it might recover. Watch the peppermint like a hawk. If it finds any wounds, it will just make things worse.

Be sure if you get something to protect the intakes on the PH's you get it from an LFS or be absolutely sure that it does not contain any chemical agents. Most commercial sponges and the like are treated with anti fulgal/mold agents.

Cheers
Steve

I use powerheads with filters on them and use one of them to "mask" the filter intakes on my hob's. I have found that with a strong current blowing straight across the intakes the anemone can't "latch" on to the intake. HTH

Well he didn't make it. I found him dead on the bottom of my tank when I got home from work today. It really sucks.

Back
Top Bottom