Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Got my first anemone today!!!! questions......

Very interesting creature. I have been reading up on them ( its a bubble tip ) It is moving around a lot! One article that I've read said to that if they are stationed under a rock than you should reposition them so they can get the proper light.......is this good advice or not?????

Old 02-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

i got one two gays ago and he went under a cliff. He still hasn't come out. If want to move him i would have to tear all my lr apart so i'm going to wait him out.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #3

they go where they want.
Mine is under a ledge and he can strech out to the light when he wants.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it finds a place and anchors itself I would not move rock around. You will possibly make it unhappy and it will move again. Just be ready to move its neighbors if it settles to close. They can be a pain sometimes.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to aquazen
How much light would you need for a BTA? Might want to try my hand at anemones, but I'd have to overhaul my lighting. Only have a FOWLR setup right now, so needless to say, I've only got a twin flourescent set up (40 watts over a 30 gallon).
Old 02-23-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
I've only got a twin flourescent set up (40 watts over a 30 gallon).
You are about 1/3 of the way there...
Old 02-23-2006, 10:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you flip the rock over the BTA will go back under the rock. They like to anchor under rock and stretch around/over it for light. The only thing you can really do is move your power heads around to cause it to hate a spot that it's picked in the hopes that it will decide to like another spot better. They're definite travelers until THEY'RE happy. Regardless of how happy you are!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my BTA confuses me too. I got it about 3-4 weeks ago and it moved the first night i got it and then has since stayed put. For about 2 weeks it would come out into the light during the day and then shrink back up at night. I thought this was great. Then about 5 days ago...it decided i didn't need to come out into the light during the day. But it doesn't look too bad and seems content in the same spot. So i guess i'll just have to watch and observe. They can have irratic behavior as i'm finding out.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Zenn, that is a recipe for disaster, I think. I had a BTA that did that and he looks awful now. Still "alive" but not well looking at all. I'd suggest feeding it as a means to possibly helping it along while it is shying away from the light that it so desparately needs.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I bought a small BTA two weeks ago. I set it on top of a rock at the top of my rockstructure. Within the first hour it had moved it's foot around to the underside of that rock where it found a nice hole and planted itself. Fearing it wouldn't have enough light I turned the rock over. It stayed there. Last weekend I migrated to a new tank and it still likes being planted in that rock. It extends it's tentacles out each day a few hours after the white lights come on. I'm still waiting for my clowns to go into it, though.

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com