Got my first anemone today!!!! questions......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smendrix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Very interesting creature. I have been reading up on them ( its a bubble tip ) It is moving around a lot! One article that I've read said to that if they are stationed under a rock than you should reposition them so they can get the proper light.......is this good advice or not?????

i got one two gays ago and he went under a cliff. He still hasn't come out. If want to move him i would have to tear all my lr apart so i'm going to wait him out.

they go where they want.
Mine is under a ledge and he can strech out to the light when he wants.

If it finds a place and anchors itself I would not move rock around. You will possibly make it unhappy and it will move again. Just be ready to move its neighbors if it settles to close. They can be a pain sometimes.

How much light would you need for a BTA? Might want to try my hand at anemones, but I'd have to overhaul my lighting. Only have a FOWLR setup right now, so needless to say, I've only got a twin flourescent set up (40 watts over a 30 gallon).

If you flip the rock over the BTA will go back under the rock. They like to anchor under rock and stretch around/over it for light. The only thing you can really do is move your power heads around to cause it to hate a spot that it's picked in the hopes that it will decide to like another spot better. They're definite travelers until THEY'RE happy. Regardless of how happy you are!

my BTA confuses me too. I got it about 3-4 weeks ago and it moved the first night i got it and then has since stayed put. For about 2 weeks it would come out into the light during the day and then shrink back up at night. I thought this was great. Then about 5 days ago...it decided i didn't need to come out into the light during the day. But it doesn't look too bad and seems content in the same spot. So i guess i'll just have to watch and observe. They can have irratic behavior as i'm finding out.

Zenn, that is a recipe for disaster, I think. I had a BTA that did that and he looks awful now. Still "alive" but not well looking at all. I'd suggest feeding it as a means to possibly helping it along while it is shying away from the light that it so desparately needs.

I bought a small BTA two weeks ago. I set it on top of a rock at the top of my rockstructure. Within the first hour it had moved it's foot around to the underside of that rock where it found a nice hole and planted itself. Fearing it wouldn't have enough light I turned the rock over. It stayed there. Last weekend I migrated to a new tank and it still likes being planted in that rock. It extends it's tentacles out each day a few hours after the white lights come on. I'm still waiting for my clowns to go into it, though.

Phyl said:
Zenn, that is a recipe for disaster, I think. I had a BTA that did that and he looks awful now. Still "alive" but not well looking at all. I'd suggest feeding it as a means to possibly helping it along while it is shying away from the light that it so desparately needs.

well, that's the problem. It's not grabbing onto food that is offered to it. I might try some different things to try and feed it small chuncks of shrimp but when i offer it mysis...the stuff hits the tentacles and then just sort of floats off becasue the BTA won't grab onto it. I did just rescape the tank so i think this might be a reaction to the water quality being bad for a day there. Still observing but i am worried about it.

They are definetly strange creatures. I don't have a BTA, just a Condylactis which I think is a bit hardier, but not sure on that. Mine will be looking like the loch ness monster for a few days, then will have one of his shrunk up, look like hell, bad hair days. Used to scare me, but now I just ignore it mostly. I do check my water out if he goes like that for more than a day or two. Kinda like the canary in the coal mine, but usually the water is fine. No idea why it does this, but seems to be normal behavior, at least normal for my condy.

Zenn, how is his attachment to the rock? If he seems to have firm attachment then it might not be something to be too worried about. How long has this been going on? I know mine is not concerned about food at all when he's in his "shrunken" phase. I was thinking that maybe periodically they do a purge on all the old water they have inside or something along those lines. No way sure about that one, but was just thinking that could be a reason why mine periodically looks like he's gonna die. Hope that it's just a similar thing with yours.

I think the key to anemones is to leave them alone. My BTA is in my LPS tank with a 175w 10k metal halide and some actinics. The anemone is not even in direct lighting and has taken up a spot under my bubble coral. I feed it when the tentacles get a little stringy about once a week to once ever 2 weeks. I would recommend setting up a drip auto top off little cheap rig if you plan on having an anemone. I have noticed they don't like salinity changes at all.

welll, i got mine to feed today. He hasn't eaten in over a week which is wierd cause he's always taken food when i've offered it before. He took the shrimp today though. I think your're right DragonForce...they just need to be left alone.

Back
Top Bottom