Got my new skimmer! I'm so phsyched!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got my new skimmer in yesterday and after a quick trip to Homedepot, for 11 bucks worth of supplies, I have it plumbed into my system. This thing totally ROCKS!!! I got the Aqua-c EV-180 for my 55gal reef to replace my CPR Backpack II (which wasnt doing squat). What a quality piece of equipment. It was relitively easy to hook up and get running. Considering how limited I am on space. It has about 2" of clearance from the top to remove the collection cup, which is plenty for this model. You know skimmers need at least a week to break in and start skimming properly, well this one is already creating a nice thick foam and I will have to clean the collection cup when I get home tonight. The only thing is there is a little bit of a splash from the return. I have a few ideas of how to address this, but if you can think of anything, let me know.

SkimmerPic%20001.jpg

SkimmerPic%20002.jpg

Now THAT's an efficient way to use those silly college textbooks! LOL!!

Cool skimmer too! :)

stresco on the return take the elbow off and add a t in its place bring the upper part of the t up to the skimmer hight and the return under the water line !! this will allow any air to travel up the line instead of in the sump :)

Brackett? What kind of brackett? As for your suggestion, they may be the solution, except the skimmer's direction state that there should be NO restriction to consistance of this flow to prevent flooding, or poor skimmate production. So I dont think I want any piping of the return to be submerged at any time.

beckett injector !

http://www.plumbingstore.com/pondfountain.html

dont think it would hinder the flow but if ya was worried ! lets say the return is 1 1/2 inch id get a 1 1/2 to a 2" t !! then there would be no issues !! but honestly all the t going to do is allow the air to go up and water go down and from what ive been told ya can get more flow out of the return this way !!

I installed a 1"x1"x3/4" "T" with some PVC. The bottom piece of PVC ends right at the water line so there is very little to no splash, the top piece of PVC is about 7" high for air to flow through. I dont have any back pressure that I can see so I think this is gonna work out well, however it now has a slurpting sound as the water and air pass through the pipes. Any ideas on how to get rid of this?

Cap the upright and drill a small hole in the cap. Insert a piece of icemaker tubing in the hole and run it off behind the stand. That works well on noisy overflows anyway.

think ya can also put a piece of sponge in the top will quite it !! can i see a pic now stresco !!

The Aqua C does not use a Beckket injector. It uses sray injection. Water is forced through a small hole that sprays into the bubble chamber. Same principle as putting your thumb over a garden hose and spraying into a full bucket of water!

Oh. Than what is the valve that you can buy as an option for attaching a calcium reactor called? Cause thats what i was thinking of.

Back
Top Bottom