Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Got my Rock today!!!

I got my rock today!! It's 50lbs of "Carribian rock" or "Hatian Rock" I didn't see anything moving... I thought there is supposed to be a bunch of critters on it.. I's only been in the tank for 10 minuits though...

Dan

Old 08-12-2004, 02:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you got LR, then it's highly probable that you have living things in it. I've found things in and on my LR 3 months after I've gotten it. A lot of them are deep within the rock and come out after the water's better or when they get acclimated to the tank/water. Good luck!

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
It also depends on where you got the rock from and how long its been out of the water.
My first batch came from Fiji and the Carribean , I ordered it from Smith and Fosters. Never did find much other than a few dusters. It was out of the water awhile and most critter probably died off.
My second batch was overnighted from liverocks.com and the critters were practically jumping out of the box.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm still finding stuff on my LR from www.liverocks.com and I even posted a request for ID today on something new: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=30006
Old 08-12-2004, 07:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I have about 30 lbs of Fiji and only found 1 crab. In the bottom of the box from liverocks.com i found about 20 crabs (I'm guessing thats a small fraction of whats actually in the rock)

After reading this post I went and looked in my tank....Found 3 new critters in about 5 minutes.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The rock from LFS always seem to be fairly void of life.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I got the LR from e-bay from Jean Pool, it's Haitan Rock, Some kind of ancient Lettuce leaf field, the shapes of the rocks are beautiful, Big pieces, Lots of Space in the Rock.. It didn't stink.. It seemed moist, and had a very humid type feeling when I opened the box.. I just don't really know what I'm looking at. They have nothing but GREAT Feedback about the rock, so I don't think anything is wrong with it. But, I've been reading all about the little creatures on the Rocks when people buy it.. I don't see anything even Remotely that resembles LIFE.

Dan
Old 08-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I'm sure the rock is fine. What you are really after is the beneficial bacteria within. The critters are fun, but the rock is what's important.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utradeshow
it's Haitan Rock, Some kind of ancient Lettuce leaf field, the shapes of the rocks are beautiful, Big pieces, Lots of Space in the Rock
Would love to see pics...........
Old 08-12-2004, 09:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nitrate I sent you an e-mail of photos, I don't know how to post Pic's on the Forum..

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com