got stuff growing in eheim tubes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenings

Aquarium Advice Activist
My girlfriend cleaned her eheim filter after seeing that stuff in the tubes two days later 3 fishes died. People said we shouldnt have cleaned the tubes with regular water but with water from the tank.

I am begining to see the same stuff inside my eheim filter and tubes. This filter is for my saltwater tank. It has a brownish color to it. you would see a lot of it go inside the tank after you squeeze the tubing a little. the fish go crazy because they think is food.

Now tomorrow sunday I am going to do my scheduled water change. Do i go ahead and tear the eheim apart and clean the tubing or is that good stuff for the tank?

evenings said:
Now tomorrow sunday I am going to do my scheduled water change. Do i go ahead and tear the eheim apart and clean the tubing or is that good stuff for the tank?
You have to be very careful when cleaning filter equipment. Using SW or waste water from a water change is a much better idea. If the filter is a more intricate part of biofiltration, you will end up killing the bacteria if using FW. It shouldn't be a problem for you if you use the SW, just don't scrub to briskly.

Did your GF check the water parameters?

Cheers
Steve

yes we checked for amonia and PH. all were fine. we test the waters after every water change.

im tired of seeing this brown stuff creep into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom