Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2004, 01:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to micaheli Send a message via AIM to micaheli Send a message via MSN to micaheli Send a message via Yahoo to micaheli
GPH for my 55gal reef

Hi there people. I finally got my tank established and after an immature and probably stupid stocking decision, I put a couple fish into my tank. I got a Scooter blenny (which I love) and a domino damsel which will be moving out shortly into its own nano. ANYWAYS....Back to biz

I'm designing a sump/overflow/skimmer sort of plan. I will be doing a powerheadless system. I hate powerheads. I'd rather have one return pump. I'm just not sure how overkill I need to go. Its a 55gal, I'm planning on having pretty standard stuff, blue regal tang, clowns, corals, my scooter blenny, a couple inverts and such..

My local friend is saying 1200-1600 is PLENTY.. I was going to go with a Mag2400... Which is says is CRAZY overkill.. So, I'd like to get a couple of second/third/fouth opinions before I start purchasing hardware.

Let me know, Thanks!!

--Micah

Old 02-24-2004, 02:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 2 400gph aquaclear ph. Something like this would give you the desired 10-20 cycles per hour.

Old 02-24-2004, 03:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

is your tank reef ready or are you going to use an overflow box? most reef ready 55 gal tanks have a one inch bulkhead for the drain line, which wont be large for a no powerhead system. this is what i have, and am just like you, i hate the look of powerheads in my tank. i have a quiet one pump rated at 800 gph, but my one inch drain wont even handle 600 gph, so i have turned down using a ball valve, and use the PHs.

if you dont have a reef ready and are going to buy an overflow box, make sure you get one rated at least 800 gph, this way you wont need any PHs, and i would actually go with two returns.

1200-1600 gph in a 55 is a little much. youll be blowing your coral all around the tank. i think 600-800 gph would be suficient. i have about 600-700 right now and everyone seems very happy, especially my xenia whom can actually pulse now and not get blown away.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:30 AM   #4
cj10488

Quote:
1200-1600 gph in a 55 is a little much. youll be blowing your coral all around the tank. i think 600-800 gph would be suficient. i have about 600-700 right now and everyone seems very happy, especially my xenia whom can actually pulse now and not get blown away.
I am his Local Friend that says 12-1600 max gph.. LOL Anyways right now I have about 1200gph in my 55gal and its pretty wavy but not blowing too much around.. My tank is primarily an SPS tank with a few softies and Its about perfect.. All my corals seem happy.. I couldnt imagine having anymore movement in my tank..

James
Old 02-24-2004, 03:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to micaheli Send a message via AIM to micaheli Send a message via MSN to micaheli Send a message via Yahoo to micaheli
What if I break up the current with 2 SCWD's... making 4 returns (this was my original design). That way the flow is very random, but you get a LOT of it. I can be gentle with return flow. Diffusing the water flow.

And yes, I'll be using custom overflows I'll be making myself with 1.5-2 inch dual siphons. Made with plexi. They should be rated at 3000gph. It would be nice to think I could use less gph. would be cheaper and easier too.. Perhaps I'll get a 1200gph pump and control the flow down to wherever works. That way its controllable. I figure that shouldn't be bad on the pump considering its a mag drive pump, and it would just simulate high head anyways.

--Micah
Old 02-24-2004, 09:31 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

You could always do an appropriately sized pump for your sump and incorporate a closed loop for the squids. If your sump is a wet/dry, you can flow too much water through it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
You could always do an appropriately sized pump for your sump and incorporate a closed loop for the squids. If your sump is a wet/dry, you can flow too much water through it.
That's what I did on my 72g tank. I have a pump running my wet/dry probably around 600-700 gph then I have a closed loop that has 4 outputs, there is current switcher inbetween the left and right outputs. Seems to work pretty well so far.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes.. but what is your total GPH and what size aquarium?
Old 02-24-2004, 01:05 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Yes.. but what is your total GPH and what size aquarium?
Your total GPH wouldn't really matter.

You could run your wet/dry or sump with a mag drive 7 and run whatever size pump you wanted with your closed loop, as it does not use an overflow.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj10488
Quote:
I am his Local Friend that says 12-1600 max gph.. LOL Anyways right now I have about 1200gph in my 55gal and its pretty wavy but not blowing too much around.. My tank is primarily an SPS tank with a few softies and Its about perfect.. All my corals seem happy.. I couldnt imagine having anymore movement in my tank..
I guess you could have that much flow with sps. i dont have any so i dont really know. with my lps tho when i put in a PH to add more gph they all started blowing away and ended up closing up. so i guess it depends on what you are keeping.

Tags
55 gallon, gph, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com