Gramma Linki

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought one of these little guys after doing some research of course. It seems this type of gramma is super rare. Is that a fair assessment? Does anyone have or did have one?

Def not much info on them...seems to be an uncommon fish which is seen in the deeper water around the Caribbean, though thought of to be seen near Florida too. Supposed to be pretty expensive due to rarity, but this could mostly be from Japan but no real confirmation on this. Sounds like you should treat it like any other basslets. Either way, gratz on the fish. Hope it wasn't several hundred dollars!

That's the funniest part. It was only $150. I know they do sell for several hundreds. I compared the pictures online to this one and they are def the same thing. Big eyes, yellow around the face and black to purple body.

Can you post a pic of your fish for better identification? My reference materials for Grammas does not show G. linki with any yellow on it. It may be one of the other Gramma species of the Atlantic.

I've got to learn to read slower lol I thought post#2 said yellow head not yellow lined. Yes, they are a rarity for sure. I've seen 2 in a 30 year career in FL importing fish. They came from very deep water off of Haiti. I cared for them the same as any Royal Gramma( a.k.a. Fairy Basslet) with good success. Make sure he has places to hide and meat in his diet. Take good care of him as replacing him may not be so easy. ;)

So far, he is in the open in a rock, kind of just acclimating I guess. I have about 100-125 pounds of live rock in my 94 gallon. Hopefully thats enough. His tank mates are male flame wrasse, eightline flasher wrasse, naokoa wrasse, royal flasher wrasse, Paracheilinus Attenuatus (Diamond Tail Flasher wrasse) bonded pair of of Gold Flake maroon clowns, elegant blenny and a "rarer" prawn goby and pistol.

img_2676972_0_1b9561b191dd91a804e544e8213727dc.jpg

Well, just a quick update. He stayed on top of the same rock for over a day, This morning I woke up and he was gone, I figured one of two things. He was dead or he had found a cave he liked and I would never see him. Well, he's not dead and he has found a cave he seems to like. The thing is, he's a bit more aggressive then I was thinking. He doesn't seem to go after other fish, but he hangs out at the mouth of his cave and any fish that gets within a foot, he chases. Is this normal gramma behavior?

Well, just a quick update. He stayed on top of the same rock for over a day, This morning I woke up and he was gone, I figured one of two things. He was dead or he had found a cave he liked and I would never see him. Well, he's not dead and he has found a cave he seems to like. The thing is, he's a bit more aggressive then I was thinking. He doesn't seem to go after other fish, but he hangs out at the mouth of his cave and any fish that gets within a foot, he chases. Is this normal gramma behavior?

In a word....."YES" :D
What he is doing is protecting HIS home from intruders. You'll see the same thing when you have a tank full of grammas as well. We used to have to keep all our grammas separated from each other to keep them in saleable condition. I had the opportunity to observe a school of Royal grammas when I was snorkling in Haiti and they acted the same way. When I approached them, they swam back into their holes. I watched one follow another into the same hole and then came dashing out of it with the first one in hot persuit. Guess he went into the wrong hole. :lol:
You have to remember that grammas are basslets and are even related to groupers which are territorial. If you don't want territorial fish, you need to stay with schooling type fishes or open water swimmers more than rock dwellers.

Hope this helps (y)

I loved my royal gramma. He had a spot on a rock that he loved and laid on it. Always thought he was dead since he laid on his side on this odd piece of rock.

Back
Top Bottom